Any Audis with two-stage gas pedal?

Dear All,

I remember my neighbour's old 90 2.3E had a gas pedal which I found to be very comfortable on long journeys as it had two stages with different levels of foot pressure necessary to depress it, i.e., for the first third of its length only mild food pressure would depress it, which meant when traffic was slowish it was a big relief to be able to rest your foot weight on the pedal knowing this wouldn't result in any massive power delivery. The two remaining thirds were harder to run down, so you had to push harder to get serious power out of the engine.

My 98 A4 1.8TQ doesn't have this feature, much as I'd love it to make my knee feel better on long journeys with sluggish traffic. Does Audi keep this in serious models such as the RSs, or is it just a thing of the past?

Thanks for your replies in advance,

JP Roberts

Reply to
JP Roberts

The only change in pressure on my RS6 is to activate the automatic gearbox kickdown - and that requires a 'serious' push (but does result in 'serious' acceleration)!

Reply to
Peter Bell

Same in my A4 1.8T tip 04.97 - the kick-down-pressure takes quite a push.

Reply to
Jesper Giovanni

Yes. I came upon an S4 sister to my RS6 - (i.e., same color inside and out) this morning on I-495 in MA. I passed him going about 70. He fell in behind and we both accelerated to about 90. When I put it in "serious acceleration", I easily pulled away very quickly. There was very little traffic at that particular part of the road. I don't normally drive like that, but one must have fun once in awhile, if it can be done safely. d;o)

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

Maybe the cable had rusted in that postion, most cars that are oldish have a cut off point where the previous driver sits all the time, say he never drives above 70mph, the cable will be free up till 70mph then after that it may get stiffer?

I might be talking bollox though

Reply to
Ronny

Ronny, Actually, I'm sure my 1980 5k has 2 spring resistances on the gas pedal - it's either from the opening of the second butterfly in the throttlebody or from two pedal springs. I haven't actually gone under the dash to look, but I _have_ seen the 2 springs on the gas pedal on my DKW's - not that you're going to get RS6 kickdown power from a 34hp engine ;-) JP....how much "mild food" are you putting on the gas pedal? - seriously, you might exercise your cruise a bit more or select different gear/rpm ranges to take some of the pressure from your knee - if the A4 is anything like my 5k (never driven one in traffic so I wouldn't know), the idle stabilization will try to keep the engine turning at 800-1000 rpm, in crawling traffic 1st gear can be held with the foot off the accelerator. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - spicy food on the gas pedal 1980 Audi 5k - bland food on the gas pedal 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - sauerkraut on the gas pedal......ummm....sorry, JP. Couldn't resist. (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Reply to
Steve Sears

I'm pretty certain this was no failing but instead it had been designed to work that way.

Reply to
JP Roberts

Let me be more specific. I'm not talking about tailback traffic, but instead roadworks and an eternal continuous line on a single lane road plagued with old age pensioners most of whom have no idea of driving at all and keep accelerating and braking all the time and for no reason and impatient youngsters with no notion of economical driving. Sluggish ancient trucks make the situation even worse.

Most of the time, when I'm not in racing mood and traffic is bad enough, my favourite driving style is that which is the most economical both on petrol and brake pads. To me, this means using the highest gears possible - I hate engines revving high for no reason -, keeping as long a distance from the car in front as possible so that the moron behind you won't overtake (there is the odd short stretch where it's not worth overtaking since traffic is just as bad for hundreds of vehicles ahead) taking thoughful anticipacion for sluggish driving, but I'll still be able to avoid hitting the brake unless strictly necessary, and lately, upshifting directly from 3rd to 5th - believe it or not it's more economical than going through 4th (because of the give-and-take involved with manual shifts). This includes taking advantage of any downhill slopes to gain speed without using the accelerator much and not using the brakes unless necessary.

This is the kind of mild pressure I'm talking about and it is exactly then that a two stage accelerator would prove most useful, because if not at all times, I could rest the tip of my right foot on the pedal for precious intervals, which would be a relief to my knee.

I must also say at this point that I find the seat to be badly designed. For a start I can never adjust it properly, as I find I'm either sitting slightly too close to the pedals to keep a comfortable distance from the wheel, or I'm sitting slightly too far from the pedals and way too far from the wheel. I think the adjustment mechanism would benefit a lot from some "fine-tuing" capability, as the space between the different points is much too long. Also the sides are too far apart and allow too much sideways motion to snug fit. Having said that my seats are not Recaro, but I didn't know of any non S or RS Audis that could be ordered with Recaro when I ordered six years ago.

[...]

Easy enough to do yourself - just rip-out all of that ECU and Injection gubbins and fit a twin-choke carb ;o)

(The extra bit of "push" at the end should have been the spring on the second inlet)

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

[Snip]

Just so - as I was used to on the progressive twin-choke Webers on my old Cortina.

But surely, the 90 2.3E had fuel injection?

Reply to
Peter Bell

To be perfectly honest, I can't remember.

The two-stage thing sounds a lot like a twin-choke, though.. you would need either an (IMV, unnecessarily) complicated twin-spring mechanism or a rather special multi-wind return spring to duplicate this for injection.

The timing's certainly right..

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Peter, The earlier fuel injection had a second throttlebody bore and butterfly. My

1980 5k has it. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

'bellfamily')

Reply to
Steve Sears

My A8 has the kickdown, (2000)