Any Feedback on Superchips?

Thinking about chipping my A4 1.8T (150 hp) Anyone used superchips

and willing to share their experiences.

Many Thanks Simon

Reply to
Simon

rjclem

(Cough), not in the UK, they don't.

My TTR 225/270 was SuperChipped a few years ago - no problems since then.

The power deliver and programming will be slightly different on your engine, however - it's best to try and get power curve before making a final decision.

for a comparison image of mine & a standard car innear-identical conditions (I opted not to spend the extra on a "before"plot)

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Interesting! I notice that your car produces less torque below 3000rpm

- I wonder whether it always was like that. Is there a logical reason why the modified chip should be worse than standard at any point in the curve? After all, it's just a set of numbers controlling fueling/boost etc., it's not like changing a cam, or opening out inlet/exhaust tracts which may well be disadvantageous outside of the 'power band'.

Reply to
Peter Bell

Marketing? I bet that the engine feels much more powerful when compared to the flat torque of the stock engine. Boring stock vs. high power delivered in high RPM tuned.

Reply to
Petri Rehtonen

There are engineering reasons (and, yes, the car does "feel" faster with a sharper curve - it matches the 180 for "feel")

IIRC, the APR chip surges the turbo at low revs to give a similar torque curve to standard - there have been lots of arguments as to what this does to the longevity of the turbo. It *was* something that I took into consideration when I selected a chip; the increased lag was a surprise, though.

The good thing is that the resultant curve is highly linear - the stock power starts "drooping" at the same point, which explains why using all available revs (subjectively) didn't seem to produce the sort of acceleration characteristics that I was used to from tuned, normally-aspirated, engines.

Running an analysis of change-up points was even more interesting

vs.
'Twas quite a shockto see how low the optimum points are as standard (bearing in mind thatthere seems to have been at least some wheel-slip on that particular run) I've not done any specific time measurements, but the car is very obviously faster on the road - and feels it.

TBH, I can't say that - in general driving - I let the revs drop below

3000rpm on /any/ non-diesel, so it may be that the chip suits my driving style more that it would others.

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Very interesting plots - the 'lumpiness' of the standard torque curve looks rather 'untidy'. The low change points would seem to be due to both the quicker rise in the standard torque curve, together with the early droop.

Yep, I think the reason can be seen in those plots - the chipped car nust be quite exhilarating to drive.

Ah well - I have a preference for a 'lazier' style with a bigger, less 'buzzy' engine - hence the RS6, which can see off most other cars without having to extend beyond 3.5 - 4k rpm. I'm still not sure whether I need/want to chip it.

Reply to
Peter Bell

I suspect that part of it is an artifact - the up-and-downess (?!?) of the plot would tend to indicate a bit of wheel-slip on the rolling road.

That said, I must admit that I was still surprised at the difference in the optimal change points (taken simply as "torque is best", rather than some high-tech third order differential. Mathematical exactness is all well and good, but the pub shuts at 11pm ;o)

Absolutely! I would dare to say - as it /should/ have driven, out of the factory.

The Mk.I suspension even more so (i.e. the car that I test-drove, as opposed to the car that was delivered) - the Mk.II is, in all likelihood, faster across a given A to B route.

But only if you trust the car absolutely, as opposed to rely on "feel" and size of cojones ;o) It's still *very* chuckable, but you don't get to feel the Haldex transferring the torque. On the original, you did - heaviest damn' go-kart I ever did drive!

Can't think that you would - this is my first "chip", on my first turbo.

I out-and-out prefer a well-tuned normally-aspirated engine (if for no other reason than the sheer heat that this thing generates!), but the SuperChipped

225 does a very good imitation of such.

The standard 180 is, I think, much more interesting to drive than the standard 225. I can't see that anything on the RS6 would really give a noticeable benefit, even if you were to ignore the (quite reasonable) cost.

Both TTs are a little "porky", when compared to a 575kg Westfield. Although the extras are rather nice (mmmmh.. heated seats)

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

I am also looking into installing one of these chips into my 98 A6. Your recommended website apr.com links to a realtor's website. Any chance we can get the full url? Thanks

Reply to
Marco Morales

And unless your A6 has a turbo, not much point in chipping it...

Reply to
daytripper