Are we getting ripped off

We recently had some trouble with the AC in our 2002 Audi A4. When we turn the AC on, the car shakes violently (Radiator/compressor trouble?). we took the car to the dealer who initially claimed that a rock broke the cooling fan and upon questioning that claim, the service guy said the entire connected parts look damaged and quoted around 1K to fix everything. They offered to talk to our dealer with whom we bought the car to find out if any damage went unreported. Our car is certified and out of the original factory warranty. Can any serious damage go unreported in a certified car? Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Reply to
ss

Any inspection, if carried out at all, would be extremely cursory in nature and more reliant upon the general condition of the vehicle rather than specific check points (it's very quick to tick a sheet but takes a lot longer, costing cash to actually do a meaningful inspection). How many punters know the difference anyway?

Sellers rely on the likelihood of there being no problems within the warranty period in any case and if there is difficulty then obfuscation and BS is always at hand, if they feel so inclined.

I have had cars go in for service, for which the dealer was paid very handsomely and come out without the oil filter being changed, for instance. Then have the power steering light come on due to low level in the reservoir, with no leaks apparent and after pre-delivery check and two "services". I leave to you to decide if the services/ checks were carried out adequately if at all. I have had vehicles go for tracking adjustment and come out without the adjusters locked, thus allowing the potential to come out of adjustment, maybe even unscrew completely with consequent total loss of steering control!. These are the people in whom others put their trust! I do everything I can myself and if I can't do it, then I always check as far as I can what has been done.

The auto trade has a thoroughly deserved shady reputation and all of the traders need to be treated as one would a rattlesnake, until the unlikely event you find out different.

I could bore you with many other instances of lack of care on the part of car repair "professionals", in the main they're a load of bums!

Never, ever pay a premium price for "certified" or "warranted" vehicles. These descriptions are designed to make the dealers money, not save it for you.

The answer to your question is a resounding "Yes".

Reply to
Tamburlaine