Audi 100 2.0E Surging Problem

Hello,

In recent weeks my Audi 100 (1994, 2.0E with 80,000 miles - which has run flawlessly for 4 years) has developed an engine problem which my mechanic thus far has been unable to diagnose.

The problem first started when I was cruising at about 50mph and the engine suddenly started spluttering, like a fuel pick up problem. I hooted that if I kept the throttle constant the engine ran OK, it was only when I pressed down the accelerator that the engine started spluttering. On letting the car cool down it started OK and the problem only returned when the engine got hot.

Diagnostics were run on the engine with no fault found reported. Eventually after a process of elimination my mechanic changed the distributor. This has solved the spluttering/stalling problem but another issue has occurred in that the engine has started surging for no apparent reason.

Typically when travelling at constant 2000 revs, any change to the accelerator position (lift off or accelerate slightly) will result in the rev counter surging up by 1000 revs before immediately returning down. The car is also very sluggish now, even from cold, and is suffering from a general loss of power at low revs

After a month and =A3300+ the car is still pretty undriveable so I was wondering if anyone on the group could offer any advice towards a possible solution.

Thanks and best regards Les

Reply to
uk_les

Did the diagnostics look at the injectors?

Reply to
tom_nospam_ba