Audi 100; Central locking & electric windows fault

My Audi 100 has a fault with the central locking & electric windows. Both not working though central locking will lock manually. Pressing the electric window switch causes a buzzing noise from relay in
footwell area. The said relay is apparently one of the most expensive in the Audi range so expensive for a trial replacement. Anyone had this fault or be able to point the finger at the cause.
TIA
James

First place I would check is in the rubber bellows between the drivers door and body where the wires pass through. Pull it back and see if you can spot some broken wires. Sounds like it could be an earth connection missing.
HTH
Ian www.audi200.org.uk
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:38:31 +0100, "5potnoodle"

Yes, this is a common fault; my 95 VW Passat VRX had that problem in the rear left passenger door, and resoldering the broken wires within that rubber bellows was the solution. You probably could do it yourself.