Audi 100 quattro temp gauge probs

UK Audi 100 2.3 1992 avant temperature gauge works when it feels like it but on test deflects fully if shorted and warning buzzer works for over temp and
autocheck shows temp problem so replaced "large"4 pin sensor on top of pipe to right of block with new 3 pin from euro car parts 25 (Audi replacement now has 3 pins 75 !!) !! everything worked fine now two weeks later back to same situation gauge fails to work but tests out correct full deflection etc conned Audi dealer into checking their techie said sensor was ok don't want to keep spending 25 for 2 weeks of temp gauge working. there is another small temp I think sensor under the same pipe directly below the one I replaced does this have any affect on temperature gauge what does it do? ? Has anyone used a sensor from another vehicle to do the same job any advice gratefully received
Paul, Maybe a broken wire or shorting in the connector? If it's the ol' Multi("mal")function temperature sensor like the one on my '87, the rubber boot over the connector has a tendency to collect coolant/water and short out the sensor connections. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ - rubber boot sealed with a hose clamp 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)