AUDI 1997 A4 - Noisy bearing

Okay, so I know I have to fix the bearing otherwise my wheels might fly off.
I took my car to an Audi dealer and they said it will cost about $700 to
fix both sides.
Is this about right?

Noise is coming from rear.

bearings on a 1999 A4 Avant, so I would say that even allowing for higher labour rates in the US, that $700 dollars was rather high. The man I spoke to gave an estimate of around 1 hour for the job/ side. Looking at the relevant maintenance manual, and assuming that I've identified the hub assembly correctly it looks a very straightforward job (on 1999 Avant - not sure about your model).
The garage I approached was an independent, not a dealer.
Hope this helps with your decision.
Mire wrote:

Quattro or non quattro? If it was quattro then the higher price is justified.
Mire wrote:

Quattro or non quattro? If it was quattro then the higher price is justified.

I paid about 136 for a rear bearing on a 2000 A4 Quattro at an independent garage.
Richard
Yes, this is for A4 Quattro, BOTH sides in the rear.
So US$700 is reasonable?

I would say that the parts should be <150e + 3h work. If that comes up to 700$ then it is reasonable.
--
Petri Rehtonen

car-car wrote:

At a stealer, yeah. ;)
Do yourself a favor, find a good local independent shop, and take the car there. Their labor charges will be a lot less.
I'd think you should be able to save about $200.
A good place to get recommendations are the region-specific forums at audiworld.com.
Dave Lugo snipped-for-privacy@etherboy.com LC Unit #260 TINLC
car-car wrote:

Go on ebay> I got my bearigs there and it cost me $70 each with shipping included. The job took 3 hours total to install both rear bearings. Cost me $150 at the garage. Total costs = around $300 So $700 is way too much!
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

3 hours ;-o ... You had a nap for two hours, didn't you ?
Thanks for your advices everyone !!!