AUDI 1997 A4 - Noisy bearing

Okay, so I know I have to fix the bearing otherwise my wheels might fly off.

I took my car to an Audi dealer and they said it will cost about $700 to fix both sides.

Is this about right?

Reply to
car-car

Front or rear?

Reply to
Moonman

Noise is coming from rear.

Reply to
car-car

I've just been given an estimate of 60 pounds sterling/ side for rear bearings on a 1999 A4 Avant, so I would say that even allowing for higher labour rates in the US, that $700 dollars was rather high. The man I spoke to gave an estimate of around 1 hour for the job/ side. Looking at the relevant maintenance manual, and assuming that I've identified the hub assembly correctly it looks a very straightforward job (on 1999 Avant - not sure about your model).

The garage I approached was an independent, not a dealer.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Reply to
Mire

Quattro or non quattro? If it was quattro then the higher price is justified.

Reply to
upallnight-two

Quattro or non quattro? If it was quattro then the higher price is justified.

Reply to
upallnight-two

I paid about £136 for a rear bearing on a 2000 A4 Quattro at an independent garage.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

Yes, this is for A4 Quattro, BOTH sides in the rear.

So US$700 is reasonable?

Reply to
car-car

I would say that the parts should be

Reply to
Petri Rehtonen

At a stealer, yeah. ;)

Do yourself a favor, find a good local independent shop, and take the car there. Their labor charges will be a lot less.

I'd think you should be able to save about $200.

A good place to get recommendations are the region-specific forums at audiworld.com.

Reply to
Dave Lugo

Go on ebay> I got my bearigs there and it cost me $70 each with shipping included. The job took 3 hours total to install both rear bearings. Cost me $150 at the garage. Total costs = around $300 So $700 is way too much!

Reply to
profits23

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

3 hours ;-o ... You had a nap for two hours, didn't you ?
Reply to
Frank

Thanks for your advices everyone !!!

Reply to