Audi 2004 1.8T Quattro or 2004 Acura TL??

Page 3 of 3
I gotto agree with the sound factor...6's do sounds sweet. A great 4 not matching a good V6 though??? in terms of what, cause a chipped 1.8T will always outperform the 3.0L V6, with better fuel efficiency.
It is all about what he is looking for.
BMW uses flat 6's to get great torque figures.
It is like comparing the 2.7T to the 4.2L V8 in the S4. A chipped 2.7T will always outrun the V8 (by the way, the 2.7T stock is just as fast as the 4.2L V8 in the S4)

The
they

They do? Porsche use flat sixes, BMW use In-line sixes.

Yes! that i what I mean. Thanks for clearing that up.
wrote:

'bellfamily')

chipped
just
no they use the I-6 because it's perfectly balanced.. how can it be one is a 6 spd manual and the other is a 5 spd auto??

is
How can what be?? Please expand? The B5 S4 (2.7T V6) and the B6 S4 (4.2 V8) are both available with the 6spd manual.

is

6spd
I'm sorry I was thinking A6/RS6. but the BMW is a straight six not Vee

I was at the Audi dealer and he said that a chipped car came in that blew the computer. The car in question, not mine, needs a new computer. The chip negates the warranty. Rather than chipping at 1.8T get 3l.

Cam Newton ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) wrote in message

It has been mentioned before that a chip *could* void a warranty. It depends on the dealer. I have heard that there are some fairly liberal dealers out there who will actually install the chip for you and still honor the warranty. Then, there are the dealers who will void your warranty for adding an aftermarket stereo. As in, if you have a suspension problem, they will disallow that as a warranty repair.
You could hire a lawyer and force them to pay for the repair (as clearly, the stereo could not have possibly caused any suspension hassle) but the burden is on you to jump through the hoops to prove them wrong.
The turbo car is cheaper in inital aquisition, cheaper to run (less thirsty when off-boost) and has more performance potential AFTER the warranty has run out. Then you can fiddle with the motor all you want, and not worry about voiding the powertrain warranty. Before the warranty runs out, find a dealer that's friendly to chip-tuning, and you're totally golden. :)
--
Jonesy

On 30 Apr 2004 09:15:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jonesy) wrote:

I think honouring the warranty is up to the manufacturer. My dealer told me they could chip my car but I doubt that I would do it at any time; I am pretty much a stock guy and don't want to fiddle with the thing. And since I have blown my wad on the A4, which I am loving (the ride to work seems to be cut in 1/2 and everybody is going sooo slooow) and am reluctant to do much more than keep it well supplied with liquids for now and new parts, in about 4 years.
Did I mention how much I love the car? I am not one for affection for objects but geez, it is a sweet ride.
Cam Newton ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) wrote in message

It would be nice, if that were true. The problem is this: the dealer can just say "no." And then you have to start jumping through hoops, even if you are 100% correct.
You then complain to Audi of America. They give you the runaround. You give up because the hassle is too much. They win, even if you never buy another car from them. (Short-term gain is everything in the business world.)
It's shitty that they act like this, but a lot of them, not just Audi, act like this. Hell, I'd bet that some MBA genius gives dealers brownie points for refusing warranty claims. After all, once they say "no," *you're* the poor sucker who has to prove them wrong.
--
Jonesy

On 4 May 2004 15:15:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jonesy) wrote:

I have to strongly disagree. I have been a VAG customer for 20 yrs and have purchased a Jetta and the A4 from the same dealer. The cost to acquire new customers is many times that of repeat. All businesses require repeat customers, full stop.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Cam Newton) wrote in message (Jonesy) wrote:> >> I think honouring the warranty is up to the manufacturer.

With which part? That they will deny warranty claims for just about any reason? The internet is full of stories about denied claims, for ludicrous reasons. On Audis and VWs.

So you'd think that they'd be smart and honor just about any reasonable warranty claim. Yet they do not. You'd think they'd weed out the crappy dealers, the ones who treat their customers poorly. Yet they do not.
The bottom line is that if you chip the car, VW or Audi, many dealers will deny just about any warranty claim, even those not related to the drivetrain, leaving you to prove, in court, that the chip did not cause the damage. And VAG is not the only company to do this kind of thing. They ALL do it, because they can. You will note that this is not in the realm of the speculative, but based on reality.
--
Jonesy

Total errata, but interesting:
My brother in law rolled a Acura TL 3 times. He was doing 75-80 mph. Airbags deployed - all but the drivers side.
As a result, he's taking a dirt nap now. My sister and three kids left behind.
I've owned three Audi Quattros. None feel as twitchy or soft as any Acura or Honda I've ever driven. Honda is making cars for numb skilled folks. Audi makes cars for drivers.
bmwloco wrote:

My condolences about your brother-in-law.
I've only ever test driven one Honda, a previous-generation Acura TL, but I must say I agree regarding the general feel. Everything felt artificial, detached, and overboosted. Turning the steering wheel felt like you were turning a dial with no mechanical connection to the wheels, moving the shift lever felt like flicking a toggle switch, and I felt like I was riding "on" the car rather than "in" it. The next stop was the Audi dealership - the Audi (an A6 3.0) just felt, well, more like a *real car*. (I ended up with a Passat, for what may seem like a silly reason - the thickness of the dash stack and the placement of the pedals on the Audi - but the same goes for the Passat; it feels much more "real" than the Acura did.)
-- Mike Smith