Audi 4 vs. Bmw 3 Series

Page 2 of 2

I was being facetious about the Volvo. The S40 is a tarted up Mazda 3 with a bigger marketing budget, nothing more. And Ford quality to boot. Volvo is not anywhere near where it was nor where it thinks it is. When i went to kick tires at the local Volvo shop the guy said the S60 was = to an A8. I guess he had never seen an A8. The S60 on a good day is an A6 stripper.
snipped-for-privacy@telus.com (Cam Newton) wrote:

Are you sure about that? The original S40 and Mitsubishi Carisma were based on the same platform.

Well, that us kinda my point: re-use, recycle, refurbish and re-market. If I want a Mazda 3 I will buy one.
I appreciate the economic necessity to re-use various bits of h/w by car assemblers and lord knows, there is a bit in my B6 A4 that started as a VW product (mostly in the engine, I believe) but if this keeps on going there will be five car assemblers with four models each. I can hardly wait. By then at least my license will be revoked due to age (I am thinking of a few decades in the future).
One item of note: when I was looking at the G35X in the spring the sales guy sales: all Nissan parts. So why would I buy a G35X if I can get a Maxima (RWD) for a bunch less? To me, he made a mistake. The Audi sales guy made a point of saying: all Audi, not VW parts. I didn't want to task him on the engine. I just had to let that one go.

Audi/VW do this quite a bit. The Golf, Jetta, New Beetle, TT and A3 are all on the same platform. The B5 A4 and B5/5.5 Passat were on the same platform and shared *2* engines, the 1.8T and 2.8 V6. Not to mention that Seat and Skoda models are really just VWs with new badging. The 4.2 litre V8 is used by Audi in the A8, A6, S4 and Allroad and by VW in the Toureag and Pheaton. The 2.7T started in the B5 S4 and ended up in the (outgoing) A6 and Allroad.

The Maxima is FWD, actually and the G35 is built on the Altima's platform, not the Maxima's. Plus the G35 is nicer inside and (oddly) more reasonablly priced for what you get. The G35 is getting a new interior for 2006 models, looks nicer. Steve Grauman
Cam Newton wrote:

Actually, it's a tarted-up Ford Focus.
> Volvo is not anywhere near where it was nor where it thinks it

I would say more like S80 ~= A6. The A8 is equaled only by other top-notch Germans.
-- Mike Smith
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:15:56 -0500, Mike Smith

Indeed. And the Foucs has such good optics. Not too many recalls, the work is not that shoddy, the final assembly is pretty OK, fit and finish is ... Ford-like.

Agreed.

I hope this is sarcasim. The Focus holds some ridiculous record, something like 12 recalls in 3 years, mostly for electrical problems. Steve Grauman

Sure, if you forget about the bigger, better engines (especially the T5), the avaliablility if AWD on the S40 or the much nicer interior the Volvo enjoys.

Well, I'd mostly agree with that. I know that the C70 and S80 have both been extremely problematic vehicles. However, the S60, which was the first Volvo sedan designed under Ford, is in fact the most reliable car/wagon they've built in several years - the S40 notwisthsatdning because it's so new and the XC90 because it's....not a car, well, not entirely a car, it is S80 based.

They'll make all kinds of bullshit claims to sell their cars. The local BMW dealer swears his cars are superior to Porsches and that the "toyish" X3 is superior to the Touraeg. Steve Grauman

I'm not aware of any mass claims that the 3-series is a problematic vehicle. My uncle had 3 of them before moving into the 5-series he just bought and they've been problem free thus far. However iDrive is a bitch. I'm well aware of claims aganist the A4 but my father's B5 2.8 went over 60,000 miles with no problems, and my 1.8t powered GTi is trouble free as well. The IS is great little car, it can out-handle the 3-series and matches the class average 0-60 time of around 7.0 seconds. But it's rear seat is even more cramped than the A4's and it lacks AWD. The AWD version of the G35 can match or beat any of them for performance and costs less. Slightly over-zealous brakes, but that's not the worst thing that could happen. However, I still prefer Audi's interiors and Quattro is the only truly proven system in the lot. Steve Grauman
On 08 Dec 2004 21:35:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote:

Steve, as usual, is right. I love BMW as much as the next person (the motorcycles are my thing, actually, more than the cars), but the Audi is more affordable and appropriate for my life in western New York winters, and my 98.5 A4 has been trouble-free for the most part. No, I wasn't amused by the rear bearing failures (one last year, one this year), but that's not the same as control arm failures, which I have not experienced, and the car has been rock solid reliable in terms of electrical and engine functions. Maybe I got a midweek built car. I love this machine and will probably drive it to the ground.

=) Thanks!

Apparently Subaru's have a very good reputation for snow and ice conditions as well. Again I prefer the A4's interior but I think the Legacy/Outback with the 250Hp 2.5 litre turbo motor might be worth a look - just in case. Steve Grauman
On 09 Dec 2004 03:40:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote:

Subaru is an outstanding car for our winters, and we have a 1999 Legacy Outback right now, but the A4 is superior in all respects except price and maintenance.

The Subies, at least the more expensive sedans, are getting nicer. I was fairly impressed when I test drove the new 2.5GT sedans but it's still not Audi quality. Steve Grauman
If you can wait for the 2006 models, there will be a lot of fresh blood. New 3-series, IS, revised A4, Passat. Did you consider the S40 T5 AWD?

A4.

To be honest, I know nothing about BMW, but would warn you off the A4 based solely on my experience of Audi's customer service. Audi's are great, until they break - then you are truely ***ed. I'd had mine 3 weeks, had a problem and was made to feel like a piece of **** when taking it back. Dealer would not even acknowledge the fault and 'threatened' that I'd need to see the area Audi rep before they would consider addressing the fault.
Note I'm still an Audi owner, but only for another week or so (a year was long enough). Go figure - and IMHO go elsewhere.
I'm not trolling. My A4 is the best vehicle I've ever had period; ****ing fantasic car. My local service is the worst I've ever had and it's a bad combination and that's why I'm off. I've also read about superb Audi customer service, so perhaps you need to flag down some local Audi drivers.

You're right. A truly great car when it is working and when you are not selling a kidney to pay for whatever ticky-tack thing broke this week.
Our two Audis become zero Audis next summer.
--
Wayne Crannell
Xxxxxxx, TX