Audi 4000s 1987 runs good but stalls suddenly, starts again, then stalls again

Help needed for stalling Audi 4000s

I have an 87 Audi 4000s 1.8L that has an intermediate stalling problem that is very puzzling. It seems that the fuel cuts of stalling the car,

=B7 It only does it after being started and driven 3-8 miles.

=B7 It seems like the fuel delivery just stops, vehicle looses all power quickly and stalls.

=B7 If I punch the accelerator pedal all the way when it does it, the tranny will kick down, and the vehicle will sputter along a little bit, but otherwise, it just stalls dead.

=B7 It will start up again within 2-3 seconds, and seem to run again at full power, until the problem happens again every =BD mile or so, but it will always start eight back up.

=B7 I can start it and let it idle for and hour, it will not stall.

=B7 Stalling happens when going different speeds, uphill, downhill, when accelerating or coasting, no pattern here.

I have done the following recently

1=2E Both Fuel Filters New 2=2E The Fuel Pump Relay New 3=2E Checked all Vacuum Hoses 4=2E Checked Tank Vacuum 5=2E The Cold Start Valve is not the problem 6=2E Full Tune Up 7=2E Cat and Exhaust - All new

I think I may hear a slight intermediate whining noise if I listen carefully, may be the Fuel Pump???? Is it possible for the Fuel Pump to work fine, until the car has been operating for a period as I detailed above.

I have read about having crap in the tank, causing this. But why would this only happen after the vehicle drives a few miles first, it never happens before it has been driven at least 3 miles, usually it happens around 5 miles.

I guess I will spend the 200 bucks for a new fuel pump, but I wanted to throw this problem out there to see if anyone has any other thoughts.

Thanks Richard

Reply to
richardci