audi 5000 cd

Quick question, is a 87 Audi 5000 CD a 4 wheel drive, and what does CD stand for??

Thanks

-- The Bald Ass Prairie Farm remove from email for reply

Reply to
The Bald Ass Prairie Farm

B.A.P.F., "quattro" is more "four wheel drive" than the viscous coupling "All Wheel Drive" vehicles (flame suit on...). Compared to, say, a Chevy 4x4 pickemup, the quattro tranny (in the early Type 44's like yours, and mine - it's qGeneration I - see:

has a locking center differential whereas the Chev has a lockedtransfer case. Look up "4wd AWD quattro Torsen", sit back with aroll-up-the-rim Horton's coffee and have a good read.CD actually stands for "Corps Diplomatique", and is a "trim level" - inGermany, you could order an Audi 100 (non-turbo) or 200 (turbo) in basetrim, or S-trim, or CD trim, or CS trim. I guess Diplomats don't go for allthe bells and whistles? Since we here in North America don't custom orderour Audis much, they sent 5000CD's to Canada and 5000CS's to the US - forturbos - the non-turbos were 5000S. - I guess they figured that we here inCanada get all warm and fuzzy over "mouse fur" seats and door panels - butwe get to show off our special IR-remote controlled radios!By the way - an 87 Audi 5000 CD could be equipped with both quattro and FWD,manual or automatic tranny.Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - "CD" without a CD-player 1980 Audi 5k - S 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - wooo, "deLuxe"! (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

"The Bald Ass Prairie Farm planet.net>" Quick question, is a 87 Audi 5000 CD a 4 wheel drive, and what does CD stand

Reply to
Steve Sears