Audi 80 (1994) 1.9TDI

I'm losing power at times, generally when on an incline and attempting to accelerate, lots of black smoke from the exhaust. I've changed the air filter and the fuel filter, now looking at teh mass airflow sensor,
anyone got any pointers for me?
Ideas....sure Open bonnet, get a pal to start car. Squeeze the top intake rubber pipe this should swell when revving engine. if NO pressure felt then look at EGR valve neraby. It could be sticking open OR blowing around the vacuum section..Easy remedy BLANK of EGR :-) Other suggestion...some previous owner may have increased fuel flow on diesel pump (overfuelling) in a half-baked idea to increase power