Audi 80 does not like winter...

SWMBO has an Audi 80 ('89) which does not like the cold weather. It starts & runs fine (albeit with a low tickover) on cold mornings. But after about 10 miles it starts to miss and then dies. If we then wait
about two minutes and re-start, all is hunky-dory again. Fuel consumption seems a little higher than normal when it is doing this but this may be a subjective impression.
Come evening, when the wether is slightly warmer, the car starts & runs fine.
In warmer weather there is no problem at all.
Warm idle is about 900 rpm. The car has manual choke.
I suspect the temp sensor in the air filter or the vac unit on the inlet but does anyone else have any ideas before I go in there ?
TNX
John Warr
snipped-for-privacy@mistral.co.uk (John Warr) wrote:

Carburettor icing?

You are probably right about the temp sensor or vacuum unit. I guess it is carb icing because of too cold air to the carburettor. I have had the same problem with my '86 for several years. I have tried to replace the temp sensor, but that didin't help. My way of fixing the problem is to open the little door in the air filter that is supposed to be opened by the vacuum. I have put a little stick in there to keep it open during winter. In april it is time to remove it again.
/Sven