Audi 80 Faulty Fuel Gauge (UK)

Hi I have just bought an 1992 audi 80 2.0E with 135,000 on the clock. The fuel guage seems to have a life of its own, usually indicating far less than what is actually in the tank. Also the engine temp guage does not work at all, I presume these problems are linked.

Due to my lack of mechanical knowledge I was hoping somone would be able to advise roughly how much it would cost to fix if i took (eg would it be ultra expensive)it to a garage and is it even worth fixing? Also I am hoping that the extractor fan in the engine will come on reguardless if temp gauge works or not when the engine gets too hot.

Any advice would be really appriciated if i should bother sorting it or just put up with it (car only cost £800 but is in great condition and has just been MOT'd)

cheers.

Reply to
JAMES502

The fan will still work.

I'd look for a faulty voltage regulator in the instrument panel, or faulty wiring/missing earths around the instrument panel. The regulator feeds both guages.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I recently upgraded to an A4 from an 80 and was having similar problems with the temp guage. It didn't work at all since I bought the car and foolishly I didn't get it sorted out. The problem was that the sensor was not correctly attached onto the actual engine. I think I had been quoted about £100 by a gartage to fix it. As a result I overheated whilst stuck in traffic & the garage reckoned to could have warped the cylinder head. Anyway, if you can get it fixed then do so.

I also think that 80s have dodgy electrics in general.

nevertheless, I got 100,000 miles out of it in 3 years and it never actually broke down.

Reply to
Mo

It might help to just take the instrument cluster out and spray contact cleaner on all the multi-pin connectors,

Christoph

Reply to
Christoph Bollig

Hi again,

Just came across this:

Don't know whether it applies to your problem,

Christoph

Reply to
Christoph Bollig