Audi 80 instrument panel mishaps

I have an 1994 Audi 80 with 250 000 km. A week ago, the car odometer and its related km counter has stopped working. This means the mechanical devices have stopped.
The rest of the instrument panel is doing fine still so this is not a full panel breakdown.
Anyone has encountered this problem before ?
Bests
LHR
Vehicle Speed Sensor or speedo cable on final drive?

My bet would be a dry joint on the backplane of the instrument panel. The odo in the T44s is not a straight mechanical "clock" driven from a speedo cable.
Cheers
Dave no not that one

Thanks Dave, useful comment there.
This means it is an electro-mechanical reader. I will open the dashboard tomorrow and see what went wrong.
Bests
Luc