Audi 80: shrieking noise

Hi!
I'm driving my father's old Audi 80 from '89 (it's a Diesel with now ca.460.000kms, but never had any problems).
Now, I have a problem and I hope someone will be able to suggest what the
cause could be:
When I start driving, there's no problem; but after some kms, the car starts to make a shrieking sound when I turn to the left. the sound is clearly coming from the left side at the front. But the more I drive, the louder the sound gets, and in the end, the sound even occurs when I drive straight. But no such sound when turning right. The problem is most obvious when I have to make small steering adjusments to the left; the noise becomes so loud that I get weird stares from people in the streets ... But another strange thing: when I press the brakes a little, the noise is gone ... As soon as I release the brake, the noise is back.
We've checked the brake blocks, but they're still in good condition.
Anyway, I think the sound is caused by something that expands or swells, since it only occurs after I have been driving some time; now that the temperatures are lower, it takes longer for the noise to occur; during summer, with temperatures of 32C or higher, the noise occurred much earlier.
Does anyone have a suggestion about the cause of this noise? I don't know that much about mechanics, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
Bjrn Isebaert Belgium

Is it a metallic screech? IME, Audi's brake backing plates (inner covers for the brake) are placed very close to the rotors. Occasionally, they can get bumped or bent somehow and they'll touch the rotor under certain conditions (like turning left, in your case). Reach behind the wheel, grab the backing plate, and move it around a bit (they're very thin and bend easily). If that changes the sound (making it either worse, very different, or completely disappearing), that's the problem. Aside from the embarassment it might cause, it's almost totally harmless and you can safely ignore it. You can also keep messing with it until you get it bent just right so it's quiet again. -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)
Wheel brearing is bad.
Tony '91 100Q 5spd
Bjrn Isebaert wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions; this weekend, I'll ask a friend of mine to come over; he knows a little more about cars than me, and we'll check all your suggestions first!
Many thanks!!!
Bjrn