Audi A3

Hi,

hope i'm posting to the right place.

I'm looking at buying a second hand A3, just a 1.6 as my insurance cost are way too high on anything bigger (only been driving for a year.)

Have seen a few that I can afford, but all of them are fairly old (96 onwards) and fairly high milleage (50k-70k)

I was wondering what the known pitfalls are with these cars as they get older, and will I just end up throwing loads of money on the car???

If anyone can help or point me in the right direction of where to look, it would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Keith

Reply to
M3ckon

Try a 1.9tdi - very swift & very economical for a small car!

Reply to
The Incredible Swearing Man©

Any A3 will cost you a lot to buy, and a lot to insure. I'm in my 30s, with no convictions, and I live in an average town. My insurance bill is about £900 a year. That's with full protected no-cliams, and one fault claim in the last year. TISM is right about the TDi though- I have a

1999 TDi 110. It's fast, economical, refined, and looks nice. Fantastic motor. I haven't heard of any serious failings that are very common to the a3, and I haven't had any serious problems with mine. It seems a few creaks from the front door trim is to be expected though. All the mechanical bits are pretty much from the VW parts bin and shared with the mk4 golf. Be careful though. Buy on condition and history. If you don't know what you're doing, get someone who does. If you do know what you are doing, Inspect the cars thoroughly. Check the usual things you'd check with any car, and rememmber parts are expensive from a dealer. Audis take the years and miles quite well so watch out for clocking. Look out for cosmetic damage- I've seen a lot with dents, scratches etc. I think they're popular as a company perk (maybe because they're expensive to buy with your own money), so a lot of them seem to get a bit tatty.
Chris Bartram

I guess the claim puts the price up significantly. My insurance for the A3 is £220 / year and my situation is about the same.

The plastic water pump impellor on the early (97) engines were a failure item (but not a recall IIRC), mine went and Audi took care of it.

Reply to
Graham
£900 a year for an A3 ?

I pay £300 for an '01 A6 1.8t with esure. Funny thing was the car before was a 95 Mazda 323F worth about £2000 and the insurance was £50 more than my £17000 A6.

Liam

Liam

That seems a tad expensive: I'm 37 with 2 year's No Claims and it cost me just under £600 fully comp for a 2000 A3 1.6 Sport.

I think the A3 is a superb and refined car: excellent build quality, handling and gearbox. Very quiet engine, commented on by quite a few passengers. I'd make sure it has a full Audi service history, though.

-- Alex

-----

Reply to
Akiralx

In terms of reliability I think you'll be satisfied as these are *very* well built cars. I recall seeing quite a few high mileage A3s for about £8K when looking for mine which I assume were company cars - they might be a bargain

*if* they have been properly maintained and serviced.

The 1.9 diesel will probably cost you up to £2K more than a 1.6 or 1.8 petrol. My 2000 1.6 Sport cost £11.5K from a dealer if that's any use.

Reply to
Akiralx

One of my mates just got a cracking deal on a 2000 1.8T Sport. The guy was moving overseas and had to sell quickly. £9K with full Audi service history, low mileage.

*jealous*
Reply to
Graham

Yep, that was very fortunate!