Audi A3 2.0 TDi - what's the verdict?

Took a new A3 2.0 FSI out for a test drive last weekend but was disappointed in the lack of low-down torque. Think I was expecting more guts really. Has anyone tried the A3 2.0 TDi (140 bhp) and could you give us a review please?

Thanks, Jason

-- Tired of receiving other peoples' junk mail? Put a stop to it!

Jason

In article , Jason writes

Had my A3 2.0 TDI SE for four days now. Only have a few hundred miles on it so far so I'm not thrashing it yet, but there's no shortage of low down torque!

First gear is quite short and so a sharp get-away from a standstill will have you grabbing for second before you know it, but from then on it doesn't half shift!

The "Pump Duse" technology used isn't as quiet as some common-rail units, and the engine does make itself heard when pushed but it's still pretty refined considering the levels of power available. Motorway cruising in sixth gear has the engine running at around 2500rpm at

80mph, and to be honest there's more road noise than engine noise at this speed. There's still plenty of torque available even in top gear to get up to 90-95mph in only a few seconds.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have :)

Reply to
Toby Groves

ok, this thread might be a bit old now but.....

I got my A3 TDI three weeks ago. Have not seen another on the road yet (Just been released in South Africa). I have no one to share the experiences with :(

Toby, how you find the car now? Should have "explored" the engine a bit more?

2nd gear rush? I don't think I will ever get enough of that :) Overtaking on the hiway is "boring" Slowly press the pedal while in sixth and you shoot past.

Gotta say, I have always wanted an Audi. This is my first and LOVE IT! Will never go back to other makes :)

Cheers, Crispin

Reply to
Crispin

In article , Crispin writes

Well it's now done just over 1000 miles, so I'm pushing it a bit more.

Tell me about it! The thing just goes. I find first rather short, and very sensitive to the throttle, but second is wondrous. I quite like pulling away from lights at a normal pace in first, then once in second giving it some stick and leaving the boy racer next to me for dead :)

You mean on multi-lane motorways? I tend to agree that overtaking here is a tad boring, as there's no sense of urgency. I've done a few overtaking manouvers on single-lane roads, where you want to be on the other side for as little time as possible, and it's frightening how fast the car gathers speed.

As for cruising, I had my doubts about cruise control in a manual, but the vast spread of torque makes cruising in sixth a doddle.

Ditto!

Reply to
Toby Groves

I agree, first is far to short. I people over take me, then come second :)))) Just this morning on my way to work, a A4 1.8T was next to me. First attempt was a level road, he got ahead of me. Second attempt was a slight uphill. First, he was ahead. As I rushed past him in seconds, the look on his face was brilliant. Uphill, this car shines :)

Lucky for me, where I live has lots of uphills. Sofar, fuel consumtion sucks. Understanable :)

Reply to
Crispin