audi a3 thermostat

My girlfriend just bought an manfactured 97, compliance plated 98 audi a3 from a dealer in Sydney Australia. On driving it back with her brother they noticed the temperature going very high. She subsequently rang back the
dealer and drove it back. The workshop at the back of the dealer said it was most likely a thermostat problem and said it could be fixed in the next business day.
Have you guys experienced a similar problem? Is this explanation feasible? Is there something else I should get a mechanic I trust to check out? Does this indicate further problems down the line? How do I know that the part he has replaced is installed correctly/ is the correct part?
Have them verify that the radiator cooling fan and associated sensors, relays, resistors and fusable link are working correctly.
Ask them to verify that the radiator is not clogged. If so flush or better yet replace.
Tony '91 100Q 5spd '98 A4 2.8 (sons)
sik wrote:

Have a look at this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board s3&Number6595&Main4028#Post36595
It could be temp sensor or in the above case the water pump is trashed.
Dave N

they
was
My 97 A3 also had a problem with high temperatures, but it was the water pump impellor that had snapped. I understand that in the early engines (possibly only the 1.8, I dont know), a plastic impellor was used. This can become brittle and break (as mine did) and prevent the correct flow of water. It was replaced FOC by Audi with a metal one.
This is a must check. I forgot to mention the cheap plastic impellers in the WPs. All members of the Minnesota Auto Club will add to suggestions on timing belt change that the water pump is a required change not only because 'you are in there already' but that the factory ones are a POS.
Tony '91 100Q 5spd