Audi A4 1.8 2002 electrical problems!?

Page 1 of 2
Hi there:
I am hoping someone in the group has experienced the same (or a similar) problem and can guide me towards possible causes and a solution. The problem starts when the ignition is turned off but the
key still in the ignition lock. The in-dash display is displaying some funky stuff and as it's a bit difficult to describe I uploaded a short clip to youtube
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPnTXA_oVvs

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I did check for clogging due to leaves, etc. near the A columns and even took off the plastic covers and wiper blades to see if any water had penetrated into the electronic control unit housing but it was all dry... (it did rain quite a bit here in the past several days).
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Harry.
P.S.: There's nothing wrong with the oil level - I checked.
soap4r wrote:

I think that it is reporting that you have several problems: - Leaking gas filler cap or a problem with the evaporation control system - Non functioning auto leveling headlight control - low on oil or oil pressure
You should get the codes scanned to verify the problems.

All of a sudden and all at the same time!? I find that highly unlikely - did check the oil level just to make sure and it's perfect. Car drives just fine otherwise. I am down $ 150.- just to have the codes scanned - that's what the dealerships here charge :-/ Therefore looking for additional help and suggestions.
Having had my share of experience with this model I am pretty sure I am not alone out there who's experienced this symptom.
Thanks, Harry.

Harry, Autozone stores (and probably some other brands) will scan the codes for free and give you a nice printout of the results. You really need to get the codes scanned before doing anything else, that's really the only way to tell what's happening here.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Hi Dan:
thanks for the tip - I called a local repair station who would be able to do that but - after explaining the situation - they indicated that they wouldn't see any codes unless the check engine light was also on... It's off in my case.
Cheerio, Harry.
It seems like certain electrical systems are still receiving power with the ign in the off position when they shouldn't. Will it also act like that if you insert key in ign, turn it on but not start the engine, and turn it off?
I would suspect the ign switch or a relay!
Just not sure though! -- later, dave (One out of many daves) 1997 Red A4 1.8tq auto
wrote:<BR>&gt; Hi there:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I am hoping someone in the group has experienced the same (or a<BR>&gt; similar) problem and can guide me towards possible causes and a<BR>&gt; solution. The problem starts when the ignition is turned off but the<BR>&gt; key still in the ignition lock. The in-dash display is displaying some<BR>&gt; funky stuff and as it's a bit difficult to describe I uploaded a short<BR>&gt; clip to youtube<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; &lt;<A href="
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPnTXA_oVvs
">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPnTXA_oVvs
</A>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Any advice is greatly appreciated. I did check for clogging due to<BR>&gt; leaves, etc. near the A columns and even took off the plastic covers<BR>&gt; and wiper blades to see if any water had penetrated into the<BR>&gt; electronic control unit housing but it was all dry... (it did rain<BR>&gt; quite a bit here in the past several days).<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Any advice is greatly appreciated!<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Thanks, Harry.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; P.S.: There's nothing wrong with the oil level - I checked.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>I think that it is reporting that you have several problems:<BR>- Leaking gas filler cap or a problem with the evaporation control system<BR>- Non functioning auto leveling headlight control<BR>- low on oil or oil pressure<BR><BR>You should get the codes scanned to verify the problems.</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

Hi Dave:
no, it doesn't do that if I insert the key and turn ignition on but don't start the engine - also if I then go back to the zero position with key (not having the started the engine) I won't see this behavior, i.e. I must have started the engine and turned it off again (that error is repeatable every time).
My biggest hope is that someone else had the exact same problem...
Thanks, Harry.
Wild guessing here......... Does your A4 have a timer for the turbo? Does the engine stay running for a few minutes to cool down the turbo?
seems like certain electrical systems are still receiving power with the ign in the off position when they shouldn't.<BR>&gt; Will it also act like that if you insert key in ign, turn it on but not start the engine, and turn it off?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I would suspect the ign switch or a relay!<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Just not sure though!<BR>&gt; --<BR>&gt; later,<BR>&gt; dave<BR>&gt; (One out of many daves)<BR>&gt; 1997 Red A4 1.8tq auto<BR><BR>Hi Dave:<BR><BR>no, it doesn't do that if I insert the key and turn ignition on but<BR>don't start the engine - also if I then go back to the zero position<BR>with key (not having the started the engine) I won't see this<BR>behavior, i.e. I must have started the engine and turned it off again<BR>(that error is repeatable every time).<BR><BR>My biggest hope is that someone else had the exact same problem...<BR><BR>Thanks, Harry.</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

Hi Dave:
no, the engine turns off immediately. Not sure whether I have a "timer"!?
Cheerio, Harry.
Harry wrote:

A4 1.8T does not have a turbo timer unless added by the owner.
Your local repair shop is not correct about the codes. The car stored them even without a CEL. Try another shop that is more familiar with Audis.
Cheerio, Harry.

thanks - will do.
Small update: as magically as the problem surfaced it magically disappeared again today (until the next rain I guess)... Will still have the codes scanned at the next best opportunity.
If the cause is found I'll post an update to the list.
Thanks, Harry.
any water leaking inside of car?
Harry.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; A4 1.8T does not have a turbo timer unless added by the owner.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Your local repair shop is not correct about the codes. The car stored<BR>&gt; them even without a CEL. Try another shop that is more familiar with Audis.<BR><BR>thanks - will do.<BR><BR>Small update: as magically as the problem surfaced it magically<BR>disappeared again today (until the next rain I guess)... Will still<BR>have the codes scanned at the next best opportunity.<BR><BR>If the cause is found I'll post an update to the list.<BR><BR>Thanks, Harry.</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

no, everything seems fine there. Best case it's just been the extreme humidity associated with the recent rain... Let's see.
Thanks, Harry.

message
My 2002 Audi A-6 3.0 took in a TON of water in a couple severe rain/ wind storms this past summer 2007. I have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS with it since. My brake (re-call taken care of) booster was full of water and the brakes FROZE on the road on a trip. Prior to that I've been going around with a mis fire in the cylinder (per my local mechanic) to the point it misfires so bad it is undriveable. After the brake deal and after they said my problem was I needed new tires (which I now have) my check engine light is on again (less than a week) from the 2nd. tow into Audi. My belief after much research is that it is catalytic converter issues. Possibly from WATER as I cannot stress to you enough HOW MUCH water this car took in - both engine and interior of car. I have YET to get Audi to direct themselves to the fact that ALL the problems I have had with the car is since it took in droves of water. With the amount of money $$$$ this car has cost me I'm quite upset not to mention it is my only source of transportation and since summer of 2007 it is not driveable more than it is!!!

I don't get it - how did your car get so much water inside? I live in an area that gets severe summer thunderstorms, with 50+mph winds and torrential downpours. None of my Audis ever got wet inside, unless a window was down!
E.P.

I have reported to the group before..... (search for WATER INGRESS A6) as I have experienced similar MAJOR flooding with multiple consequences. There is a drain "tube" hidden away under the battery. This gets blocked with leaves etc, allows the chamber the battery is located in to fill with water. It floods the wiper motor, fusebox & everything else within that chamber, then water finds its way to the car interior via grommets where cables pass from the interior of the car into engine compartment. Thence the wiring loom gets saturated & crimped connectors with it get corroded. Not to mention the risk to any control modules located in the footwells. . . .
Maybe you don't park your car near any trees Ed ?
Just my experience
Ian

I used to, before I had a garage. Even now, I park the cars under trees in parking lots, etc.
I have always cleared the drains, even way back when before I owned Audis - othe rmakes have this same set-up.
ISTR reading about it in an owner's manual.
Sunroofs have drains, too. Does everyone ignore those things, too? I clean those out every couple of years - they collect dirt and clog as well.
Sorry, but if folks think the only thing they need to do to a car is put gas in and make the payments, then blame the manufacturer for not idiot-proofing their cars...
E.P.
Will the owner's manual instruct you on how to clean the drains, both sunroof and under the battery?
I think that services like that should be done during "servicing" the vehicle. So if it is the owner that does it or the repair person...............someone has to do it! <g> I have found over a gallon bucket of leaves and debris under some batteries or in that tray area. Surprising!!! -- later, dave (One out of many daves) 1997 Red A4 1.8tq auto
wrote:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt; My 2002 Audi A-6 3.0 took in a TON of water in a couple severe rain/<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;wind storms this past summer 2007.<BR>&gt; &gt;I don't get it - how did your car get so much water inside? I live in<BR>&gt; &gt;an area that gets severe summer thunderstorms, with 50+mph winds and<BR>&gt; &gt;torrential downpours. None of my Audis ever got wet inside, unless a<BR>&gt; &gt;window was down!<BR>&gt; &gt;E.P.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I have reported to the group before..... (search for WATER INGRESS A6) as I<BR>&gt; have experienced similar MAJOR flooding with multiple consequences.<BR>&gt; There is a drain "tube" hidden away under the battery. This gets blocked<BR>&gt; with leaves etc, allows the chamber the battery is located in to fill with<BR>&gt; water. It floods the wiper motor, fusebox &amp; everything else within that<BR>&gt; chamber, then water finds its way to the car interior via grommets where<BR>&gt; cables pass from the interior of the car into engine compartment. Thence the<BR>&gt; wiring loom gets saturated &amp; crimped connectors with it get corroded. Not to<BR>&gt; mention the risk to any control modules located in the footwells. . . .<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Maybe you don't park your car near any trees Ed ?<BR><BR><BR>I used to, before I had a garage.&nbsp; Even now, I park the cars under<BR>trees in parking lots, etc.<BR><BR>I have always cleared the drains, even way back when before I owned<BR>Audis - othe rmakes have this same set-up.<BR><BR>ISTR reading about it in an owner's manual.<BR><BR>Sunroofs have drains, too.&nbsp; Does everyone ignore those things, too?&nbsp; I<BR>clean those out every couple of years - they collect dirt and clog as<BR>well.<BR><BR>Sorry, but if folks think the only thing they need to do to a car is<BR>put gas in and make the payments, then blame the manufacturer for not<BR>idiot-proofing their cars...<BR><BR>E.P.</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

So if it is the owner that does it or the repair person...............someone has to do it! <g>

Yeah, a good service person should point it out. The owner's manual should say that such things need to be done, if not how.
Sort of like an oil change.
I clean the cowl drains with my finger at every oil change, so I never have had the problem. The sunroof drains I clean the first time I vacuum the car in the spring (outside the garage).
I dunno - I'm have trouble working up concern for folks who don't do this stuff. It's not a secret.
E.P.

Ed Pirrero knastet inn: :

One possible (and common) reason, blocked drain hole under the pollen filter/battery.
Look at pictures from a Passat, but mostly the same with Audi.
http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/passat/leak /
Second, one of the doors doesn't fit - and need to be adjusted, or the rubber sealing have to be replaced. Adjusting is quite easy to do.