Audi A4 1.8 - Turbo Lag?

Hi,
I've recently purchased an used A4 1.8T quattro Avant (2002). I've noticed that if you put your foot down whilst in second and I guess at about 1700 rpm it'll start accelerating and then there'll be a pause
(which feels a bit like a lurch) then it'll carry on accelerating. Not having had/driven a turbo before I was wondering whether this is "turbo lag" or should I be concerned abut this? It doesn't seem to do it if you're more progressive with acceleration and I've only noticed it in second and third.
Thanks
Bob

That's normal. The turbo doesn't really kick in until above 2K rpm. You really shouldn't be accelerating hard at such low rpm like you do. You're just lugging the engine and it doesn't do any good. The real fun starts above 3k rpm. If you're at 3K rpm and floor the gas pedal, you'll notice that there is very little lag.
Regards,
Pete
Does not sound like Turbo lag to me. You should not get a pause just a kick when the turbo starts to spin up. To get the 1.8T to shift the only ay is to keep it above 3000 RPM.

snipped-for-privacy@dsl.pipex.com wrote:

That sounds like a faulty Air flow meter like the diesels have. It's pretty much the same symptom.
Do you have low mpg as well?
I'd believe that turbo engines are generally sensitive to wrong AFM signals, no matter if it's a diesel or a petrol engine. If it gets the wrong air flow reported, the control box just will not pour in sufficient fuel.
Maybe worth checking.
Regards
Wolfgang
--
1999 Audi A6 Avant TDI

Doesn't sound right. If your boost goes beyond the factory spec, the fuel pump will cut out. The fuel pump will resume once the boost return to factory spec. Is your car chipped???
Wolfgang Pawlinetz wrote:

at
Not
do
noticed
the
Doesn't sound right. If your boost goes beyond the factory spec, the fuel pump will cut out. The fuel pump will resume once the boost return to factory spec. Is your car chipped???
Wolfgang Pawlinetz wrote:

at
Not
do
noticed
the

Indeed, MAF failures are fairly common in the industry, and Audi is no exception - often coming up with coverage under "stealth warranty" ;-)
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd
daytripper wrote:

right, I'm on my fourth now :-)
But all paid by Audi and since they implemented the relevant technical bulletin it's quite at that side of the engine.
Regards
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Pawlinetz wrote:

'quiet' even.
Regards
Wolfgang
It's booked in for 6th April for diagnostic. The service guy suggested it could be a number of different things messing up the mixture.
We'll see.
Thanks to all for your help so far
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:38:26 +0100, Wolfgang Pawlinetz

menb32@no_spam.dsl.pipex.com wrote:

Well, you might just unplug the MAF and see if the engine performance gets worse. If the engine behaviour doesnt get worse, then it's IMO a sign that the MAF is already not working and you might need another one.
At least on my TDI you could diagnose it like that without damage to the engine. I can't imagine that to be different at the 1.8T
Regards
Wolfgang
Had to call out the AA yesterday, was on my way home from visiting family and it started doing the same thing to the point of hardly any acceleration and the engine management system warning came on. They replaced one of the coils, and hey presto it's been nice and smooth all they way back and this morning.
Hopefully that's it.
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:35:37 +0100, Wolfgang Pawlinetz