Audi A4, 1,9 TDi, Quattro, 1997; tips for buying - what to look for?

Hi,
I am considering buying the car mentioned in the topic-line. It has run 145.000 km. What to look for when checking out the car? Any "standard
weaknesses"?
Thank you.
Terje, Norway
Terje J. schreef:

You might want to look into that suspicious low mileage ... One standard weakness is the Mass Airflow Sensor which has to be replaced quite often.
Regards, Dave
What's so suspicious about 10000 miles per year?
Terje, you mighyt want to try this google search for more info: http://tinyurl.com/85jkx

I don't know for sure what the situation is in Norway, but in the part of Europe where I live, people don't buy diesels to do 16.000km a year ...
Regards, Dave
snipped-for-privacy@pro-it.be wrote:

That's probably quite a broad generalisation. My wife's A2 TDi has done around 28k miles (45.000km) in three years. You probaly don't expect an RS6 to have low mileages either, but mine has done 18k miles (29.000km) in two years.

My 100 TDI auto's only done 220,000 but then it's 11 years old.
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

According to Germany's automobile club (ADAC), the breakeven point for diesel engines is at about 12.500 km/a for some models because of tax differences in Germany. But taxes do vary a lot in Europe.
    Kai
.- Bad tie rods, and suspension upper front control arms always go bad sooner or later because of poor design and/or materials. .- Wheel bearings. Very expensive considering what they are. .- Turboes and vacuum lines often going bad. You might want to check boost. .- Water coolant temp sensor goes bad very often. .- Run an OBD diagnostic test to check for any fault codes. .- Windscreen is of unusually low quality, so check it's in perfect condition. .- Have a look at brake rotors and pads. .- Test drive it to check damper status. .- Look for any leaks.

Oh, and I forgot your ABS control module is probably about to "pass away" at that. Check you can find a cheap replacement before you need one.