audi a4 2.8 lifter noise

i have a 97 a4 that recently started to make a loud lifter noise. it is a bit louder than the 'classic' audi lifter noise and i suspect that 1 or 2 lifters are stuck. i tried to use a quart of transmission fluid in the oil to loosen it up. and i have now gone back to 20-50 oil to see if if gets quiet. no luck. the question is ' how hard is it' to replace the 1or 2 lifters causing the problem? is it necessary to take out the radiator? any special tools required? i am pretty mechanical but i do not want to get into too much trouble. suggestions please!

Reply to
mike_n

can we ask the mileage of the vehicle...

Reply to
tpow

I will assume that you might have to not only remove the V6 timing belt but also the valve covers and the camshafts. You can probably locate the bad lifters by only removing the valve covers and testing the lifters by pressing them down. Also check for any oil sludge building up or weak oil pressure before you dive into the engine.

Have you been using Synthetic oil? Or what brand and weight oil have you been using? Which oil filter too? Does the ticking ever go away?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

.

I was using 10-30 organic oil until the tick started. the filters recently have been purolator ( cheap). i admit i did not change it as often as suggested - maybe every 8k - 10k, the mileage is 120k. the ticking does not go away - it's frequency at idle seems to indicate it is one lifter that seems to be stuck.

i would also think that i will have to remove the cam. have you done this? any special tools required? any tips?

Reply to
mike_n

No I have not done any engine work to the V6 engines except replacing oil pans. Did you notice any sludge building up in the engine?

There are some products, if you choose to use them, that might quiet down that lifter. CD2 makes one that I have used with some success on some VW engines.

but sold at local stores too. You can do a search on google.com and see about this product.

This is what I would prescribe: Instead of pulling things apart............first try an oil change using a good filter like a MANN oil filter and the CD2 oil detergent. Yes you can use some good organic oil like Valvoline or Castrol 5W-30 oil for this first application. After this fresh oil try idling the engine at different RPMs to lessen that noise of the ticking. Hopefully you will find that the noise lessens right around 1200-1600 rpms. Hold it there and sometimes rev it a little higher returning it to about 1200-1600 or the sweet spot. Kind of like lightly gunning the engine It might just start to sound better and better..............fingers crossed. ;-)

THEN when it quiets down, just drive normally and change the oil at about

3,000 miles or sooner with the organic oil. I vote if you want to extend the oil change interval use synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 or one of the VW approved brands like Elf or Pentosin. Don't ask me how long I extend the oil change intervals too with my personal rides. ;-)

This will sure beat the $$$$s you would spend otherwise if it works. Fingers crossed for you and let us know if it works out!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

-

thanks for the tips - i will let you know how it works out

Reply to
mike_n

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 14:56:10 -0700 (PDT), against all advice, something compelled mike_n , to say:

Humm.

Does it run well otherwise? I'd be tempted to live with it.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

have u been usin synthetic oil or organic oil ?

Reply to
anish

Is the CD2 cleaner similar to Auto-RX?

Reply to
Snow Rocket

Hey Mike,

I had a similar problem with my 98 A4 and I subscribed to ALLDATAdiy.com and it has been very useful. I am handy and like to do things myself and this subscription gives me diagnosis, repair, TBSs, recalls and labor times.

Check it out - I copied the link below for you.

Andy Deil

Reply to
ADdiy55

They gave me a free subscription for a year, but I never used it much. I did not renew at their prices and their information was OK I guess. Now I have the Bentley CD for the A4, which is another story. That can be a semi-tough manual to follow since it is NOT written for the "average" Joe but more for the professional. 8^)

Also there are some downloadable manuals you can get for free IIRC.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1