Audi A4 air con controller

My a4 '96 air con controller has begun to flicker on and off. Sometimes it remains off until you touch the screen. I suspect a lose connection, or could this be symptomatic of the unit about to completely fail ? Anyone else had a similar issue ?

Also, how do you remove the AC front panel ?

cheers turbo-man

Reply to
turbo-man

The AC faceplate is connected Via a ribbon cable to the electronics located in the box it sits on, you can remove this ribbon cable fairly easy, but it may actually be a problem with the lcd connectors, which are hard to get too.

To remove the AC unit, pull the stereo out, and remove the 2 screws inside there, then pull the facia off, then remove the 4 screws that hold the AC unit in, they are on a rubber spring mount so be sure not to lose them, then just remove the 4 screws from the actual AC case, you will then see what I mean.

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

No - not yet anyway.

This is from memory, but:

1) Remove stereo 2) Two screws hold in plastic blocks either side of stereo - remove. 3) The plastic facia surround should now come away with a bit of effort. 4) Two screws hold the AC control unit in place - remove. 5) You should now be able to get at the plugs at the rear of the unit.

I had to buy a new AC control unit recently. The local Audi dealer quoted me £609 for the control unit and £316 for a flap motor. After a fruitless search for one at a breakers I managed to get a new AC unit for £343 and a new flap motor for £64 from

- I don't know where you're posting from, but if you're in the UK and you need some new bits they could be worth a try as the dealers seem to be jaw droppingly expensive.

There was a posting here recently in which someone pointed out a page that told you what to look for and what to solder in a broken AC controller - but I couldn't find it using Google.

Good luck!

Dave

Reply to
Dave