Audi A4 doors

Does anyone have trouble with the doors on the A4. They are so tight and the stop points on them make it a battle opening the door. Oftentimes I have to fight to get them open so they don't come back and hit me in the leg. They are very irritating. The guys in service said that is just the way they are and they don't seem bothered by them at all. Maybe it's because I'm short. I almost wouldn't get another Audi for this reason. J

Reply to
Joanne Leeman

"Joanne Leeman" a écrit dans le message de news:bp5m7i$iot$ snipped-for-privacy@clamcake.uri.edu...

Never experienced this problem on my Audi A4.

Reply to
GT

[Snip]

My wife has complained of the same problem with all of my Audis (A4, A6, RS6). She's only 5ft tall, so maybe it is due to the lack of height.

Reply to
Peter Bell

have you overlooked something.......opppps sorry you can't.

clanger

Reply to
Clanger

have you overlooked something.......opppps sorry you can't.

clanger

Reply to
Clanger

I suppose if you are small and have the seat up front, your leverage for opening the door is at a disadvantage. Try to reach a bit behind you, or even move the seat back before opening the door. You should push it from as far back as possible - you don't need to push where the handle is.

-D.

Reply to
TransFixed

I'm 5'6" and have owned two A4's and driven several other A4's. I have zero trouble with the doors but then I've been more physically active that most people. Why don't you check the door action on some other A4's and see if they have the same operational characteristics?

Byron

Reply to
Byron Walter

I'm tall and strong, and I find the doors on my Audi A4 2002 to be a royal pain. They indeed are hard to open, have small flimsy handles that pinch, have really strong detents, have sharp points on their outer edges, and really hurt when they bounce back into my leg. Compare how easy a Lexus door is to operate and you'll see what I mean. On the plus side, they open really wide if for some reason you're into that kind of thing.

Reply to
Jim Battan

Joanne, It is possible that the doors are quite stiff to open when the car is newer. As time goes on, the weather-stripping will crush somewhat and reduce the pressure on the latching mechanism. On my '87 (ok, not even in the same decade, but anyway...) the latch pin is adjustable - loosen the central bolt and you can move the pin a bit (within reason). The only problem is that if you move the pin towards the outside of the car, the amount of crushing of the weather-stripping is reduced and the result would be increased wind noise, possible water and dust infiltration, etc. etc. As someone else commented about his (vertically challenged) wife finding opening the door difficult, possibly from a shorter viewpoint you'd be pulling more horizontally on the handle when you have to rotate it further upwards. Try opening the door by lifting up on the handle, not pulling towards you so much. BTW, "not get another Audi for this reason"???....hmm, makes one wonder why you got an A4 in the first place. Is Audi experiencing the "everybody I know owns a Beemer - that's why I got one" syndrome of the 90's? Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - and you think that stiff doors is a deterrent? Trade ya ;-) 1980 Audi 5k - I wish hard-to-open doors were the only problem
Reply to
Steve Sears