Audi A4 Fuel/Aircon

Hi, I'm looking at buying an Audi A4 possibly SE with c/control.

I've heard that on most newer cars these days the aircon doesn't affect the fuel consumption as much. Is this true on the Audi A4? I was looking for a '97 - '00 A4.

Also, can someone briefly describe the differences the various models of A4 eg SE/T etc.

Thanks.

Reply to
pi0neer

Climate uses a bit more fuel, specially on these hot days, I would say on my

2.6 quattro I get 27mpg on the motorway with the aircon on, Off I get 30 mpg.

Town driving hits the fuel economy hard with the Aircon on.

But its nothing to worry about, the comfort factor is worth the extra MPG for me, and if you dont like it, turn it off..

SE spec is normally electric rear windows, better seats, maybe a leather steering wheel and gear knob.

But Audi's are built to spec, so Someone might want a sunroof, or leather seats, Bose package etc etc.

1.8T's are quite basic, no electric rear windows, few come with Climate, but again can be spec'd up.

If your in the states, almost all cars come with Aircon anyway, in UK its a bit different

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

The smaller/weaker the engine, the more noticeable the effect of A/C on fuel consumption. And not just fuel consumption, but decrease in power as well (slower acceleration). I notice it on my '01 1.8T and I've noticed it on all 4-cylinder cars with A/C I've driven ('91 Stanza 2.4, '97 Vectra 1.6, '99 Primera 2.0). So far, the only car on which the A/C did not seem to have any effect (gas mileage and performance) was an Accord with a 3.0 V6 engine.

In my 1.8T A4, I observe about 1 to 2 mpg increase in fuel consumption when operated with A/C. I don't know if this is much or not.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete