Audi A4 "left dipped headlight" problem

The left headlight of my 2006 Audi A4 quattro has this annoying -- and dangerous -- problem:

  1. The left headlight flickers
  2. It then turns itself off
  3. The message "left dipped headlight" appears
  4. The message is changed to a sign indicating that the lightbulb has failed.

If I turn the light off (Note: We're talking about driving at night here) and turn it back on again, the light will become normal again, for about a few minutes and then the cycle repeats itself.

This problem is intermittent. It has been occurring a lot recently with the cold weather. I can't tell for sure whether it is temperature related.

My Audi dealer said that Audi knows about this problem but doesn't know how to fix it -- changing the light bulb doesn't solve the problem.

Has anyone encounter this problem and get Audi to fix it?

... Mike

Reply to
mike

"mike" wrote

They don't know how to fix it? So how are they treating this issue? Are they giving everyone a new car instead, since the car is under warranty and they're supposed to fix it?

Are these xenon headlights? If so, and if it's not the bulb, then maybe it's the ballast?

Cheers, Pete

Reply to
Pete

Is the car still under warranty?

You need to start going up the ladder to Audi of America. The dealer may be saying that, but I am sure that's not what Audi wants them to say.

My '04 has gone through several turn-signal bulbs and 2 low-beam bulbs (non-Xenon) in 54,000 miles, which I think is a high rate of usage, frankly. Not a big deal, but the bulbs are a pain to change, considering you have to remove the entire headlight unit to change the low beams and turn signals.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

The Audi is still under warranty. The headlight is the self-leveling, self-adjusting kind.

My Audi dealer called and said they are going to re-flash the headlight. Hope it works this time. In the past, they have re- flashed it once and changed the bulb once. But the problem is still there.

... Mike

P.S. This is disappointing. Other than a few annoying things, the Audi is such a nice car, particularly in Winter.

Reply to
mike

I have an '02 A4 with the same problem. I notice it more in the winter then the summer. I do not know any fix for this so if you happen to come across any I would be thankful if you would pass on this information.

Reply to
Robert

I can't believe it!

I took my A4 to the garage and two things were done:

- the code (presumably software version) for the light were checked and it was correct

- the igniter was changed

And the result?

- the problem with intermittent going out problem disappeared

- the same problem begins to occur on the right headlight !

I can't believe it!

Reply to
mike

Interesting... I have been having the left dipped headlight problem on my 2005.5 (06 style) Audi A4 with Xenons. I have taken it to the dealer twice. This time the replaced the whole headlight. What happens as soon as my lights come on? Same thing. Did they even friggin test it? The last time I was there it went off before I even pulled out of the service center. I love the car, but I cannot be flipping my lights on and off every few miles at night. Oh, and the left headlight is now pointing significantly higher than the right, very irritating to say the least. Did you ever get this sorted out?

Reply to
michaeljreilly

Hi. Just wondering if you guys resolved your problem. I'm having the exact same thing with my 2005.5 (dipped left headlight). The dealer reflashed the software, but no dice. It seems to happen--if I'm not mistaken--in parkades. I don't know if it's the bumps/turns in the parkades or the light sensors (even though I manually turn on the lights) or what. Have you guys noticed any pattern(s)? Very frustrating. And exact same problem as Mike describes.

Reply to
c_potato

Try this site

smgrafix21