Audi A4 not starting

In summary, my trusty 2000 A4 has decided today to give me some problems. I left work for lunch, parked the car, and when I returned it wouldn't start, just rapid clicking and rapid indicator light flashing.

When the engine didnt turn I noticed that the "Press Clutch to Start" display message and some of the other indicator lights were off. Normally it is on when the key is in. Upon trying to start the car again some of these lights came on but flashed while something else was clicking rapidly. I took the key out, waited a few minutes, and tried again. Still just a lot of clicking. I waited then tried again, this time when I put the key in all the lights, guages, and display were completely on. I tried again and it still wouldn't start. Frusrated, I waited a few more minutes, then tried again and the engine fired right up like nothing had happened.

I got home and parked the car, happy that I didn't have tow it. Thinking it was just a fluke, I tried to start the car again, and same symptoms. Now it won't start.

I would love if anyone can help me troubleshoot this. I am thinking it could be the starter but would that cause such strange dash light activity?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
J.Hunt

I would suggest having your battery checked. You probably have an intermittent short in one of the cells. Time for a new one.

Reply to
TonyJ

I'll second that. And if it is the battery, you got lucky. Probably the cheapest possible outcome, other than a loose wire somewhere, though that isn't likely the problem, and could take hours to locate.

Alan

Reply to
wtrplnet

yes, agreed, similar symptoms to my '98 a year back.

Reply to
BIC

Try a jump start if it works it may very well be the battery on it's very last legs. Intermittent voltage does strange things to modern electrics.

Many automotive stores will test a battery for free and sell you a new one!

Mike

Reply to
Mike