AUDI A4 STARTING PROBLEM

Anyone got any ideas about the cause of this problem? I have a 1996 (P Reg) Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE with an intermittant fault that is getting gradually worse. Regularly (but not always) when starting the car it
starts but then cuts out virtually immediately. To restart it, you have to taker the key out, turn it over again but it doesn't fire up this time. You then have to take the key out again and then try again. Often it starts the 2nd time but occasionally it will die again and then I have to repeat the above process until it does start. Any ideas what the problem is and more importantly, how it can be fixed?

Immobiliser sensor coil, built in to the ignition lock. It needs the complete lock assembly replacing, I'm afraid.