Audi A4: suspension damage after only 35K

Page 1 of 5
I have a 2000 A4 2.8 with manual transmission, no quattro and the optional sport package (stiffer springs and 17-inch wheels/tires). I drive with a lead foot and take turns a little hard, but I don't take
the car racing or offroad or anything like that.
I just had to spend about $700 replacing the motor mounts and replacing a worn tie rod end (front right). The drive train had been shifting noticeably on throttle lift after hard acceleration, and they noticed the tie rod problem when they did the motor mount work.
This car has only 35,000 miles on it, supposedly comes from a company with performance heritage, and I'm not beating it up or anything, and yet it needs this work after only a few years? This doesn't seem right. I had a lot less problems with my 12-year-old Honda Civic ... and I realize that maybe nobody can match Honda/Toyota reliability, but I would expect the basics of drivetrain and suspension to be well done in a car at this price level.
Can anyone comment on this?
If you're going to point me to a recall or a tech bulletin, then what are my recourse options considering the car's out of warranty and I already paid for the work?

Tie rod ends wear out . . . especially if you take a lot of hard corners. 35,000 seems a little low to be replacing them already, but it's better if something like that is caught early. The motor mounts aren't really suspension. In a small car with a strong engine (like an A4 2.8, for example), it is possible to stress the motor mounts with very aggressive driving. Torque is your enemy here, so the manual tranny didn't help. Try shifting before 7 grand from now on. :) -Dave
On a side note, how many sets of tires you been through already? :)

Thanks for the insight. I guess I do corner fairly hard, and 90% of my driving is in the city. I'd think they would have sized the motor mounts for the engine. I mean, it's not like this is an afterthought turbo bolted onto a smaller engine, it's a straight-up V6.

The very first thing I had to get used to in this car was how the V6 engine really did not like to be reved super high, unlike the little 1.8L 4 in the Honda -- gawd I beat the crap out of that engine and it kept going. Redlined it nearly every low shift for 12 years. On the Audi I rarely go over 5000 revs and never over 6000. Redline is at 6500 I think. So I don't really think I'm reving it hard, although I routinely plant the throttle at low revs. Thus torquing up the drivetrain pretty good, I guess.

I'm about halfway through the second set (at 35K miles). Both sets were factory approved Dunlop SP/8000E's. OK I hear the gallery spinning up to flame each other about tires now so I'll step out of the way :)
snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (Chris Campbell) wrote:

Ah, the difference between a Honda I4 and an Audi V6. They require very different driving style. The Honda engine will have all of its power at the top end, with very little torque (comparatively speaking) at lower revs. The Honda will thrive on high revs. The Audi V6, however, develops a good deal of torque in the lower to mid-band rev range, but the power falls away at high revs.
It sounds as though you've learnt that the V6 makes best progress in the 2500-5500 rev range. The only reason for reving higher than that is if it's the wrong moment to momentarily lose drive with a gear change. If you are driving more sedately, the engine will pull smoothly, and reasonably strongly, from 1500 rpm, or less. All in my experience from owning an A4 V6 2.6, and A6 V6 2.7T and an RS6 V8 4.2T and previous experience of Honda 1.5 and 1.6 I4 engines.

I haven't driven an Audi V6, so I can't comment on the "comparatively speaking" part. However, my 95EX Accord can easily outperform pretty much everything on the road at any speed. Now, you have to realize that this is a statement of what I have seen. This means with DRIVERS that I have seen. I have blown away Mustang GTs in my car. Obviously the drivers were idiots to get beaten by a Honda. The point is that my car, which is rather old at 150,000 miles plus, still out performs the majority of driver-vehicle combinations I come across. So even if the Audi does have more torque at low revs, I don't see why it matters. A Ferrari has the ability to go faster than my car, I presume, yet they generally don't.
As far as saying the Honda has ALL of its power at top end, that is not even close to being true. My car is almost never in first gear, as second has more than enough torque from a stop. I can easily accelerate whenever the tach is above 2000 RPMs, where you state the Audi has power at 1500 - not a huge difference.

You are in the wrong group. Here, a Honda is the second or third car on the driveway. Go to the alt.autos.honda NG. There is room there for you now.
On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 16:43:59 GMT, Cam Newton ( snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com) wrote:

You are an idiot. I am responding to a post in rec.autos.driving. Have you heard the expression "go fuck yourself?"

No I have not.
All 'expressions' are mathmatical in nature so if your 'go fuck yourself' statement is a true expression, what does it equal? How about 'I am an idiot'?
You should have just bought the Audi instead of coming here and being an ass.
However, my 95EX Accord can easily outperform pretty

I remember someone trying to outperform my A4 1.8TQ in his '95 Honda Accord. That was before I had it chipped. Now, let me say that at lower revs, the power/weight ratio is still favourable to the Honda in this comparison. Anywhere else my A4 beat the Honda, although the Honda was surprisingly close in terms of low-speed acceleratio, which meant we were on a par in start-and-go traffic but then I left it behind.
Now that my car is chipped it bears no comparison but of course a Civic R - with 200PS and its low weight should accelerate relatively faster than any stock A4. I always thought the A4's biggest handicap is its weight, and may I say I'm not happy with its 5-gear manual tranny, either.
American Accord are more powerful and the VTEC engines were available in the upper versions. An Accord 2.4L 160HP will keep up with a Passat/A4 1.8T 170HP, while being more economical and running on regular fuel.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:08:29 -0400, "Saintor"

But it is stll an Accord. Boring.
I tested the Acura TSX and it was OK up to a point but the 200 hp going thru the front wheels is a great way to be pulled into a turn. And the TL? 270 hp, same problem but you get pulled into the corner faster and with less control.
When I went looking I didn't consider the vanilla Japanese econoboxes for a second. If I wanted one I wouldn't have even bothered testing it. I would have just ordered a Camry XLE or the equivalent Accord.
And the Passat is heavier than the A4 (with quattro) and has less trunk space etc. The Passat 1.8T 4Motion is a consolation prize compared to the A41.8Tq. And more turbo lag. Nice but not good enough.
I know when some young gun revs up his tarted up Honda/Acura I can whip him. Neither can outdrive the A4q, no way. But since I am geezerly and sedate, I can be happy in the knowledge that I don't have to show off. I know. The kid doesn't. Mmmm smug.

Don't assume that your choice will be the best fit for others. It is all between your two ears.

Funny because virtually in ALL comparaison tests I have read around the planet that includes both Acura TSX (AKA Euro Accord and Audi A4), the Euro Accord won. The A4 is obese (3-500lbs heavier) and underpowered for all this weight.
The Quattro system is dead weight that won't make the car more agile or any safer, to the contrary. It can be fun on mud/snow. That's it.

It's Ghee #2!! Run for your lives!!

and both of us are smarter than you, so you run.

OMG, Ghee has two names to use.
On 24 Apr 2004 19:03:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote:

Great. Our Village Idiot has a sock-puppet....
Ya know, if you scamps would stop trying to communicate with the moron he'd probably spend his allowance somewhere else...

You're right, I can't argue it. But on some level he's kind of fun to kick.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote in message

I dunno. He and Saintor are about the same kind of moron. Anti-Audi idiots who troll newsgroups in their ample spare time, bench-racers who have "driven" every different kind of car (of course, this is because they have so many "friends" that own all these different cars.) Didja ever notice that they always know everything about everything?
Heh.
--
Jonesy

"WARNING ADVICE Independant to any opinion content, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com alias Jonesy alias Spider (and with also a high possibility of snipped-for-privacy@campquake.com.trimit alias Eric) has proven in the past to be disrespectful and to behave constantly in an unappropriate manner that is clearly defined as harassment. Reason may be mental health or at least obnoxious personnality. It is no mistake he was listed in news.admin.net-abuse.usenet as a potential net abuser. If this reply shows in this actual thread, it must be considered as just another evidence of his harassment habit. No more waste of my valuable time with him.
Sorry for the inconvenience."

[snip]
You already lost your supernews account over this. Shall we go for your videotron account as well?
I'd be happy to point out how you're violating the TOS and AUP to them. Consider this your final warning.
--
Robert F. Jones