Audi A4: suspension damage after only 35K

Um, no.

Reply to
DTJ

Hmmm... then you're pretty much an idiot, then. I've never owned an Audi (and may never, but who knows) but to flat out deny cars that revolutionized racing because you don't like them is ignorant.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Personally, whether it's intuitive or not, the whole concept of I-drive is somewhat unsettling to me. IMHO the functions of a car should be controlled by switches, relays, and wires, and if the wiring harness gets too unwieldy, perhaps it is time to think about cutting back on the gewgaws.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It doesn't count when the cars you're racing are actually parked on the side of the road, or is using cruise control. The other driver needs to be *driving* for a race to count.

Since a 1995 Honda Accord represents the cutting edge of automotive performance, maybe you should try your highway speed theory this May in Nevada.

Vic

1997 A4 2.8q 2000 Mustang GT
Reply to
Victor DiMichina

There are remedial English classes for people like you. Try one, you just may learn enough to get out of grade school.

Reply to
DTJ

Abso-freakin'-lutely. The concept is dumb from start to finish, and has very little to do with DRIVING. As in "the ultimate DRIVING machine."

Reply to
Jonesy

DTJ, an idiot? Wow, you're the first person to ever think that!

His singular opinion on what constitutes a racing pedigree is funny. But Honda drivers are often a little soft in the head when it comes to discussions about cars. After all, he thinks his Accord is some sort of performance machine, LOL!

I love it when the Honda boys spout shit like "Performance/dollar" or "HP/normally-aspirated liter" like those things actually mean anything to anybody but other soft-in-the-head Honduh owners. Next thing you know, they'll start up with the Consumers Reports crap.

Reply to
Jonesy

The best reply you can come up with is based on my typo? I guess that's about all the imagination one could expect from an Accord driver.

Vic

1997 A4 2.8q 2000 Mustang GT ...and a few others.
Reply to
Victor DiMichina

No I have not.

All 'expressions' are mathmatical in nature so if your 'go f*ck yourself' statement is a true expression, what does it equal? How about 'I am an idiot'?

You should have just bought the Audi instead of coming here and being an ass.

Reply to
Anonymous

However, my 95EX Accord can easily outperform pretty

I remember someone trying to outperform my A4 1.8TQ in his '95 Honda Accord. That was before I had it chipped. Now, let me say that at lower revs, the power/weight ratio is still favourable to the Honda in this comparison. Anywhere else my A4 beat the Honda, although the Honda was surprisingly close in terms of low-speed acceleratio, which meant we were on a par in start-and-go traffic but then I left it behind.

Now that my car is chipped it bears no comparison but of course a Civic R - with 200PS and its low weight should accelerate relatively faster than any stock A4. I always thought the A4's biggest handicap is its weight, and may I say I'm not happy with its 5-gear manual tranny, either.

Reply to
JP Roberts

American Accord are more powerful and the VTEC engines were available in the upper versions. An Accord 2.4L 160HP will keep up with a Passat/A4 1.8T

170HP, while being more economical and running on regular fuel.

Reply to
Saintor

But it is stll an Accord. Boring.

I tested the Acura TSX and it was OK up to a point but the 200 hp going thru the front wheels is a great way to be pulled into a turn. And the TL? 270 hp, same problem but you get pulled into the corner faster and with less control.

When I went looking I didn't consider the vanilla Japanese econoboxes for a second. If I wanted one I wouldn't have even bothered testing it. I would have just ordered a Camry XLE or the equivalent Accord.

And the Passat is heavier than the A4 (with quattro) and has less trunk space etc. The Passat 1.8T 4Motion is a consolation prize compared to the A41.8Tq. And more turbo lag. Nice but not good enough.

I know when some young gun revs up his tarted up Honda/Acura I can whip him. Neither can outdrive the A4q, no way. But since I am geezerly and sedate, I can be happy in the knowledge that I don't have to show off. I know. The kid doesn't. Mmmm smug.

Reply to
Anonymous

Don't assume that your choice will be the best fit for others. It is all between your two ears.

Funny because virtually in ALL comparaison tests I have read around the planet that includes both Acura TSX (AKA Euro Accord and Audi A4), the Euro Accord won. The A4 is obese (3-500lbs heavier) and underpowered for all this weight.

The Quattro system is dead weight that won't make the car more agile or any safer, to the contrary. It can be fun on mud/snow. That's it.

Reply to
Saintor

It's Ghee #2!! Run for your lives!!

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I have not read those comparison tests that you're writing about but I guess none included neither a chipped A4 1.8T nor a 3.0, and probably not either a

1.9TDI 130 PS. You wouldn't believe what those TDI's are capable of thanks to their huge torque already at tilt.

While I must concede the Quattro has now become a bit outdated if we compare it to the 4WD of a Subaru Impreza STI or a Mitsubishi EVO, if you believe it's dead weight it's probably because you've never tried a Quattro. And anyone will tell you that a stock Quattro is not usually more fun, but it's way much safer everywhere except driving downhill - and then it's still probably just as safe as any Honda.

JP Roberts

Reply to
JP Roberts

I had a tie (track) rod end go at less than 30K miles on my A6 Avant. I drive quite gently - that whats suits the car :-). There was a recall on some Audis for track rod ends but, of course, mine was not covered. I think this is still a weak spot on some Audis.

nospam

I had a 2001 Honda accord EX-I4 manual for the past 2.5yrs - and then sold it in two seconds when I drove the 2001 A41.8Tq (with sports package) the other day!

What can I say - unbelievable, the torque, power and Quattro is amazing! I didn't get nearly the same excitement for the A4 2.8q. (and one of my friends has a chipped 99 A41.8Tq - that put a bigger smile on my face let me tell you!!!)

I test drove the Acura TSX last summer (ps I'm from England and now living in Canada) and I was not impressed - For me personally there is no comparison.

Well I sold my accord last November, and I am still saving money to this day to put a big chunk down on the 2002 A41.8Tq. Yep I going for the new shape!

The 325 BMW just did not give me the big smile on my face that the A4 gave me - yes it's all about smiles for me! yes the BMW was refined and silky smooth engine - but that A4 - throw that car round a corner at 80 km/h and.. and... oops sorry I seem to be smiling again.

Anyway that's just my opinion!

Reply to
darren

and both of us are smarter than you, so you run.

Reply to
Tha Ghee

are you upset both of us are correct and you have nothing to say to the contrary??

Reply to
Tha Ghee

OMG, Ghee has two names to use.

Reply to