Audi A4 timing belt

Page 2 of 3

Lot's of people are functionally illiterate, they can read but they do not understand what they are reading. You are obviously one of them. And why do you think I should know what you discuss with JPF. Who the fuck do you think you are, a friggin celebrity? Not really, just lowly little spider, that's it.

I do not know who JPF is, what he does, what kind of business he runs etc. And I do not care to find out either. I did not whine about his business practices and did not know he existed until HE attacked my post. I was merely responding to his attack and his incorrect IMO arguments.
So go back to fifth grade where you dropped out and take some comprehension classes.

It seems that you are one of them. Since you are so damn smart, why don't you help diagnose my Audi. Oh, that's right, you can't. You pay a mechanic, like JPF, to do it for you. How bizarre.

Hey, Grammar Boy - when you learn the language, then you can throw around those big words. Until that time, I'm just laughing at the irony.

Because your diarrhea of the keyboard suggested I hadn't read the whole thread. You're a thin-skinned idiot who need to have his head slapped a bit. In addition, if you were as bright as you thought you were, you'd know this exact same discussion has occurred before. But you weren't here then, so your newbie ass doesn't know any damn thing.

I know I'm smarter than you, dipstick.

Oh. Ouch. I'm hurt. Why are so mean?

Then why do you call him a scammer, or suggest that he rips people off? Are you just an idiotic asshole, or is something else wrong with you?

So you are willfully stupid. The worst kind of idiot.

It looked less like an attack than a counterpoint. I realize that you took it personally, but hey, thin-skinned people take EVERYTHING personally.

Your opinion sucks ass. It has no meaning, and you don't have value as an alt.autos.audi poster. It wasn't an attack, but an explanation of why he doesn't do it. I realize that you can't separate the two, but so far, you haven't impressed with your intelligence.

You point out exactly what I'm not comprehending, and you'll have a point. Well, two points. Your top of your head being the other one.
Spider

Only a complete imbecile could right it. So the people who cannot diagnose a car aren't smart. And the people who can are geniuses. Go get your head examined by a stupid doctor who may not be able to replace a Water Pump, but may still sugest a correct medicine you certainly need.

Very nice move. I acknowledged myself, that English is my 3rd language, so you turn it against me. How many languages do you know, professor?

My diarrhea? Go re-read your diarrhea in "A6 2.5 TDI 140bhp..." They are right about you - grumpy lonely low life asshole, who has nothting better to do then being a net-cop.

Can't be. My IQ is sure way above 50.

You sure have a right to disagree with my opinion. Any you may actually be right, but then again... maybe someone reading all this crap we've been posting here will realize, that he can go out and buy parts on the internet. Maybe he did not realize before it was possible or that the price difference was so significant.. Maybe he'll take the parts to JPF and when JPF refuses to install them he'll say "fine, there are lots of good mechanics willing to install my parts for me. I'll take my business to them". So maybe my posts here will have value for these people.
And thanks to google, the posts will be stored forever. So more and more people will find out they can do it, and less and less people will end up paying rip-off prices for parts.

... and that's how the rest of us lose out - JPF is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable guys around here.
Thanks DOG!
--
Peter Bell - snipped-for-privacy@bellfamily.org.uk

My pleasure.
If you do need advise though, go to a place where audi enthusiasts hang out - http://www.audiworld.com/forum/ You'll find more free advise then you can handle, including where to buy parts on your own, what parts are better/worse then OEM parts, how to install them on your own, why stealerships suck, how people get ripped off on car repairs and how to get a better deal.
And there is no need to kiss anybody's butt, and there are no primadonnas threatening to leave just because somebody disagreed with them.

What I normally need is advice (advise is a verb!).

Hmmm - I've looked at audiworld, there's some good info, but there seem to be a great number of people who are just as big pratts as you are.
I think I'll stick with rs6.com, thanks - at least the people there are friendly and knowledgeable on my particular model.
--
Peter Bell - snipped-for-privacy@bellfamily.org.uk

Glad to know you are not going to be left totally helpless with JPF leaving all because of me.
Thanks for advice on advice vs advise. English is actually my third language and I do appreciate people correcting my mistakes.
D O G wrote:

May I suggest then that you move on to a fourth language since this one doesn't seem to be working out for you?
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 17:32:24 +0100, Peter Bell

Not only that, they cram their entire replies into the subject line all the time. Annoying.

Oh my god, so I will never be priveledged to be overcharged by you? I will now be forced to go to another shop where they will do exactly the same job for half the price. I am so distressed, I'll never be able to get over this terrible loss.

You guys are a class act. I posted a suggestion to save some money by buying parts on the internet. That's all I did. Since when suggesting how to save money is a bad thing to do? A couple of guys figure out that it will cut in their profits and get all worked up about it. So what, this does not make me wrong. You do not have to use my suggestion of course, be my guest, pay the full (list) price on parts but do not blame me for the fact the guy is pissed off. For the record his contributions to this NG in the last half a year were virtually nonexistant - long before I made my post.

That makes both of us. I also prefer competent mechanics and I am happy to pay premium in terms of his hourly rate. What exactly does it have to do with rip-off prices on Audi parts at Audi dealerships?

And you're better, how?

It's a fine suggestion. I do it myself. No problem so far...

Oops, I guess here's where you lose your memory. Saying that charging retail is a "ripoff" is where you stepped on your dick.

When you accuse folks like JPF of being dishonest.

After you call them scammers, what did you expect? Kisses?

Sure it does. Being frugal is not the same as claiming people are "ripping you off."

Since you are the one throwing around accusations, maybe you should just shut up while you are behind.

And yours have been non-existent forever. So shut up already.

Out of pocket, what difference does it make if a guy has a lower shop rate, but charges list on parts? That's right, NOTHING. So get over it, already.

If you don't like to pay, don't. If you think Audi parts are expensive, you don't know shit about car parts. Price out BMW or M-B parts sometime. Lexus, Acura, etc., etc. They're all right in there with Audi. If you don't like it, buy an early '80s VW, and fix the damn thing yourself.
I understand that "you don't get it." It's idiots like you that make independent mechanics look at everyone who walks through the door as a cheapskate asshole.
Spider

If I rephrase it that retail prices are ripoff - will this make you happy? And that when one gets charged retail - he gets ripped off, whoever does it to him?

What's you problem, you are not JPF, you playing a net-cop again, or just kissing JPF's butt for a free advice? I am sure JPF can speak for himself, and he actually did. Anyway, as I said it is not about JPF, I do not know him. I do find practice of charging rip-off retail price dishonest. I do think that if a part costs $70 on the internet - selling it it for $80 is fine, but $170 is a rip-off. JPF happened to defend the practice, I defended my point of view. Mechanics and dealerships not willing to accept customers with their parts are dishonest in MY book.

It sure beats the guy charging HIGHER" labor rate and list on parts. Other then that a guy charging an hourly rate, he's comfortable with and letting me save a few bucks on parts is honest, the guy claiming lower rate, but not willing to take me with my parts, cause he has a hidden profit in it is NOT honest. This again is in MY book.

Yep, in his post JPF mentioned that a mechanic has to deal with idiots all day long. What a nice way to refer to one's customers. Then again if he weeds out educated consumers capable of buying parts on their own, he may well end up with idiots only.
Why won't mechanics start thinking what general public thinks of them for a change? Like why are they considered one of the most dishonest professions in every opinion poll, together with used card dealerships and lawyers? And why the biggest number of complaints about ripoffs are related to car repair?

Discussing linguistic nuances of the English language here on alt.autos.audi with car mechanics and their nephew's roommates would certainly be the most ridiculous thing to do, let me just point out, that your definition is that of a criminal act like theft or fraud, it sure isn't definition of ripoff.

If you pay $100 for an item and find out you could have gotten it for $90, you are right it is not a ripoff. But if you paid $170 and then find out that it could be had for $70 - it would be very common for everybody and his roommate's uncle to say "you got ripped off, buddy".
Other then that, I really do not care. If you and your roommate's uncle believe only idiots buy on the internet, that's fine with me. Don't. When your 2000 S4 is due for WP/TB - go to your dealer, pay $600 for parts and $800 for labor and make your dealer laugh all the way to the bank. He sure will not call you a cheapskate, cause you are not. He has a more appropriate name of sucker for you, you know.. the one who's born every minute.
And do not forget to get a good laugh yourself with your roommate and his uncle at the idiots who buy parts on the internet and got the same exact parts and same exact service for half the price. They've got to be real morons, those internet buyers...

No, because they are not. The phrase "rip-off" implies fraud. Now, I understand that English is not your first language, so I can see how you might be confused as to the slang term and it's implications.

No, nobody gets ripped off. Everything is right up front - nothing is hidden. Do try and learn how to use the language before you berate others for their reading comprehension, OK?

Hey, genius - did you not realize that this is PUBLIC forum, and that your writings are read by several people other than yourself? If you don't want others to comment, then don't use USENET to send personal messages, OK?

I don't play Net Cop, but thanks for asking.

Where did I claim to speak for JPF? Just another wild fantasy on your part?

Then it might be wise to think before you press the "send" button. Just a helpful suggestion.

Why? If the price is clearly marked, where is the dishonesty? Hey, dimwit - price markup is the way capitalism works. Don't like it? Move to a communist country. Like China. Ooops, bad example. Vietnam? Dang, missed again.

Except that there's nothing dishonest about it. That's the price - pay it or don't.

Your point of view is stupid and wrong. JPF might be restrictive in his business practices, but that doesn't make your view of what is and is not a "rip-off" meaningful.

Which means exactly what? That's right, nothing.

Does it? If the guy gets the job done right the first time, and can get you in the shop at a reasonable time, and can explain things to your wife such that *she* understands what is done, what's the price of that? You're one of those fools who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Only if you have a misconception about what the word "honest" means.

WHAT hidden profit? The price for the whole damn deal is right out in front of you. In the U.S., most states require an estimate be accurate within a certain percent, and then if the cost of the job is over that, they have to get your permission to proceed! Where is anything "hidden?"

Signifying?

What if they are idiots? If the customer comes back, then what the fuck do you care?

It doesn't take half a brain to find cheap Audi parts on the 'net. Any hillbilly and his wife (sister) could do it. Why do you think it takes anything more than a computer and an ability to type?

Because morons like you think you know every damn thing, when the reality is that you don't.

Prove it.
And then prove that a public poll signifies anything other than proving the point that "people are stupid".

Not because of part prices. Want to know what the deal is there? I tell you, but I'll type really slow, so you can follow along:
Most dishonest shops do work that isn't needed. By mistake or on purpose, THAT is the reason complaints are made. I'll bet you have a fit trying to figure out how the wrong work gets done by mistake. Take your time to figure it out.
Spider
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 03:54:05 GMT, Pronto Breakneck

Pronto: you are in the wrong NG. Your reply is well considered and well written but waaaay too political for this NG. Oh, and witty too.
Let the market rule. Death to statists.
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 17:17:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@tater.cu (Richard Potato) wrote:

Sorry about that.
Audi good...ugh ugh ugh.
Better? :)
Re: Re: Audi A4 timing belt
The hourly labor set by a shop is figured on a percentage of income brought in by the profit of parts! It always has been that way! If you bring your parts to me I will charge you extra! Simple math! 23 year Audi Tech
Have a Grateful Day(unless you've made other plans)!
Kcvwdoc
--- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.43 * Friends of Bill W - Raytown,MO - telnet://friendsofbillw.dyndns.org
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 03:27:42 GMT, Pronto Breakneck

I just got off the phone with the dealer, and this is apparently a coincidence. On the 1.8T, the water pump isn't driven by the timing belt, so changing the belt and tensioner isn't going to have any effect on the pump.
So, now I get to crawl around and find out where the coolant is actually leaking from. Joy.
I have the latest bulletin in front of me dated 5th June '01, 90,000 km's or 4 years whichever comes first! My A4, '97 model only 47,000 km's, I'm going to have it and the water pump done in the next few months.....