Audi A4 timing belt

Page 3 of 3

Are you using "km's" to (improperly) mean "thousands of miles" - or "kilometers"?
My A4/S4 specs say first belt change is at 144,000 km (90,000 miles), applicable to the 1.8T, 2.8NA, and 2.7TT...

manual
km's
After reading the entirety of this thread, I've come to two conclusions. One: The timing belt, etc. should be changed at ~60,000mi /~90,000km. And more importantly, two: that someone at Audi seriously dropped the ball on this and neglected to correct their error. Because it strikes me as extremely odd, at best, that the manufacturer recommendation for timing belt replacement is *both* 90,000 miles AND 90,000 kilometers (depending on location). Thus, it sounds very much like the people in charge of writing the imperial (mile) intervals were either mathematically brain dead or simply heard someone say "90,000" and didn't realize that this number referred to kilometers rather than miles. Either way, if all of the tales of "early" failures are true, Audi of America certainly needs to hear about it in some sort of large, organized fashion so that it can be corrected. (no, I'm not talking about a lawsuit...just a bunch of letters from "concerned owners" or something of that nature).
Rob 2002 A4 3.0Q

As every v6 I've ever owned had belt-driven camshafts, and they all had recommended replacement at 60000 miles, I'm inclined to agree with your take that someone transcribed the recommendation incorrectly.
Fortunately, I don't have a dog in this hunt right now. At just over 30000 miles and still under the fix-all factory warranty, Audi service noticed the pump had a tiny leak (so small it never made a puddle), so they replaced the water pump, belt tensioner and idlers, and serpentine and cam belts, all on their dime.
Felt like I had hit the lottery...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd, good for at least another 30K; -)
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:03:41 GMT, "+ Rob +"

NASA lost a Mars satellite because someone at Lockheed forgot to convert miles to km. Doh.
Re: Re: Audi A4 timing belt
Aug 22 2003 04:48 pm
> > Oh my god, so I will never be priveledged to be overcharged by you? I will > > now be forced to go to another shop where they will do exactly the same jo > > for half the price. I am so distressed, I'll never be able to get over thi > > terrible loss. > > But in fact you are costing us money. a) by consuming bandwidth and b) > by pissing off a guy who has made uncounted helpful contributions in > this group FREE OF CHARGE. > > Thank you. > > If you really think you are overcharged then yes, go find another mech. > > I for my part prefer a mechanic who does the job _right_. I can find > enough idiots who would charge me the same for bad work.
Thank you! Well said!
Have a Grateful Day(unless you've made other plans)!
Kcvwdoc
--- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.43 * Friends of Bill W - Raytown,MO - telnet://friendsofbillw.dyndns.org