Audi A6 2002: Multitronic transmission "hydraulic control unit" defective. Any similar cases?

Hi,
My Multitronic (CVT) transmission started to jerk when accelerating (noticeable in cold temperatures below -10 celcius). Audi service told that
the problem is in hydraulic control unit (valve box) which needs to be replaced. Total cost is 2500 ?. My car has 70.000 km.
Any similar cases?
The funniest part here is that their diagnosis is based on test drive only. The said 2002 model Multitronic does not have any diagnostic information in its control unit, and it is available from model 2003. There was no fault codes. Any body aware of this?
I am trying to get somebody (manufaturer) to pay at least part of the costs. So this is the so called "Audi quality"...:) I would expect transmission lasts bit longer.
Regards, Sami
Sami, I'd try to source a used box before springing for something like that - possibly getting one from 2003 (if it would bolt up) so that you could get the diagnostic option (you'd probably need the control box and associated wiring harness). Just a thought. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ - not multitronic 1980 Audi 5k - also not multitronic 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - not even 'tronic (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)