Audi A6 Avant aircon stopped

I wonder if someone can help me, i have an Audi A6 avant, 2002 1.9 tdi 130. Whilst towing our caravan today, after 2 hours the aircon stopped. After this happend i turned off the fan.When we got back home i left
the car for a few hours, hoping that something might reset itself, but however i was not lucky.
The car was fully loaded 2 dogs, 2 boys and 2 adults and it was towing a cravan. Am i pushing this too far - was this the cause of the aircon failing...?
IS there something i can do - or do i need to get it to the local audi dealer?
We're off on our family hols soon and really could do with the aircon .
Any help will be greatfully received
Cheers Rob
Check your outside air temp if that sensor has gone bad, meaning showing a temperature less than 41 F, it will shut off your a/c compressor.

Thanks for your reply Steve, the outside teperature is reading OK. I'm not sure if this just needs a regas..?
Any tips on how to tell if it does?
Thanks in advance Rob
Steve E. wrote:

Robincambs wrote:

The dealer or any other garage can attach a manometer to the car and measure if there is any pressure in the system. They can also measure the pressure on the pressure and the suction side of the compressor while it is running. This valves they use for attaching a manometer or discharge/refill gas is under the plastic cover between the engine department and the windsheild. On the passenger side. If there was a leak you would probably noticed decreased performance from the AC, and not a sudden stop. The compressor itself is on the engines right side, under the turbo, exhaust and all that. You have to get to it from the underside. You could try to see if the safety device inside the compressor pulley is broken. See if you can turn the inner part of the pulley. If the inner part can move and is not fixed to the rim, the compressor is probably broken. (On older cars there is a clutch used to engage and disengage the compressor inside the pulley) This pulley broke on my '02 A6 Avant 1.9TDI a week after I got the car. :(
Jone T.
Thanks for the information, i had a guy come round to check the pressure and he said that he suspects the compressors failed.
If i find that the pulley is broken - can these be replaced or is it a case of a whole new compressor?
Cheers Rob