audi a6 clutch

Thinking of buying a 2000 80k miler 1.9 tdi A6. Test drove it it yesterday and the clutch feels incredibly heavy. The bite is high up with no slippage so the clutch itself seems ok. Right? So is it just
that the clutches in the a6 tdi are heavy? Its so heavy that it was uncomfortable to drive. Getting back into my 95 1.6 a4 petrol the clutch feels as light as a feather. Any advice? Or care to offer an opinion?
Many thanks
bob snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

The clutches on TDis tend to be heavier than those on the petrol equivalents. Whether this one is abnormally heavy is difficult to judge unless you are able to compare with another, similarly specified, car.

Peter Bell wrote:

If it was abnormally heavy what would be the cause of this? Is it the clutch going even though in every other aspect the clutch feels fine? Are the clutches on a cable or are they hydraulic? Any ideas?
Bob, They're not on a cable, Audi stopped using cable actuated clutches in the 60's (or 70's?). A stiff clutch may be part of the clutch binding (like the throwout bearing), or a sticky master or slave cylinder...or even binding of the pedal arm itself. I have heard quite a few complaints about heavy clutch pedals on Audis here - it may not be an equipment malfunction, and unless you can get a custom clutch pedal arm with a pivot point moved towards the master cylinder, you might have to just deal with the heavy clutch. I'm sure there's folks on Audiworld that would go for a group buy on a kit...... Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ - hydraulically actuated clutch - new master failing almost as soon as it was put in - new new master going in on Monday 1980 Audi 5k - hydraulically actuated clutch 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - cable actuated clutches (+ 1 vacuum actuated clutch in parts...) (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Thanks for the info Steve. I'll take for another test drive on Sunday and make my decision then.

I have a 1.9tdi A4, also on 80K, which presumably has the same engine, clutch and 'box as the A6 model, and the clutch is no heavier than my previous transport which was a petrol model.