Audi A6 - Did I fry my radio?

I am so embarrassed to admit that I improperly hooked up the negative/positive posts when jumpstarting my 97 Aud A6 Wagon. The smoke was my first clue. Anyway quickly yanked the cables and then properly jumpstarted the car to get a new battery. I noticed the radio wasn't working after the jumpstart fiasco. I checked the fuses and had a friend doublecheck with a voltmeter. There's a chance it stopped working when the battery went totally dead. It should say SAFE on the display and then I can go through the reset procedure with the unlock code, but it doesn't say anything. The backlights on all the knobs come on when the lights are on,. but no sound and nothing comes up on the display. Any hints, tips, or stabs would be very much appreciated. nottoman

Reply to
Nottoman

Pull the radio and see if there's a fuse on the back, there often is. There is a good chance you toasted it, but you should be able to get a used '97 for short money.

Reply to
JimV

I agree with you. However, before you do that, disconnect the battery for

1/2 hour then connect again. You might get the SAFE back.

Good luck

Reply to
Tony