Audi A6 estate (1996 -UK): boot won't open

This is a very recent purchase. The boot opened in the presence of the seller, but trying it yesterday, it won't open with the key in any position. Turning the key right and left locks/unlocks the central
locking respectively (as it should) but the lock cylinder simply won't push in with the key slot in the vertical position.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (John Prendergast) wrote:

Isn't it like other recent Audis - with a 'finger' release somewhere in the area of the number plate illumination?

Yes indeed. Much obliged. I was able to reach the seller by phone this afternoon and this is exactly what he told me. Why the manual should say something totally different is beyond me.