Audi A6 intermittent starting problems

Hi all,
I have a 98 Audi A6 which I love and has been wonderfully reliable. The weather has been very, very hot and I suddenly have a problem. When I stop for between 20 min and 40 min, the car wont start. Got
a new battery, it made no difference.
Any suggestions?
Thanks much.
On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 04:35:59 -0400, Linda wrote:

Has nothing to do with the battery, it's a common starter prob (magnetic switch). Replace it. Some "tricks" and workarounds: 1. After switching off the engine start it again and wait for ~15 seconds. Switch it off again.
2. Open the bonnet and give the starter some softer hits with a hammer.
:-) Know that very well from older Mercedes engines.
Cheers Jens
"" wrote: > On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 04:35:59 -0400, Linda wrote: > > > Hi all, > > > > I have a 98 Audi A6 which I love and has been wonderfully > reliable. > > The weather has been very, very hot and I suddenly have a > problem. > > When I stop for between 20 min and 40 min, the car wont > start. Got > > a new battery, it made no difference. > > Has nothing to do with the battery, it's a common starter prob > (magnetic > switch). Replace it. Some "tricks" and workarounds: > 1. After > switching off the engine start it again and wait for ~15 > seconds. Switch > it off again. > > 2. Open the bonnet and give the starter some softer hits with > a hammer. > > :-) Know that very well from older Mercedes engines. > > Cheers > Jens
My dads a real car fanatic. He used the soft hammer for decades on a 71 Chevelle. Hell be happy to know it works on newer cars as well!
Thanks much. Linda

Handle of a screwdriver is often more wieldy in a confined space - like down the back of the wife's Clio's engine.
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."