Audi A6 quattro 95 oil leak.

Hi, An additional problem with my A6 is a very bad oil leak which seems to come from "top rear". The oil drips over the exhaust and causes an embarrassing smell. I asked the dealer to identify the problem. Their diagnosis was a bad Head-gasket. Their estimate (incl. timing belt and water pump): $2500. I bought the car a couple of years ago for $2300.

Does anybody care to comment. The car runs great, is it really the head gasket? What about doing such repair at home.

Thanks,

Andre

Reply to
Andre

On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:04:46 -0700 (PDT), against all advice, something compelled Andre , to say:

I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine that if the head gasket failed to the point where it was leaking oil, the engine would be running poorly, if at all. Is there a valve cover in that part of the engine, and if so, is *that* where the leak is coming from? It would cost a lot less to fix that.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

I'm pretty sure the 2.8L V6 engine has a habit of leaking from the gasket on the intake manifold. That could be the cause. But no way would I take it to a dealer. Find a good independent shop that handles Audis (or any premium German cars - BMW, Mercedes, etc). Have them look at it.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Defo leaking from the valve cover/rocker cover gasket new one costs £15 and the problem is the gasket goes hard and a nice new supple one will sort the problem.

This is a common as hell problem with all Audi's and is quite simple to replace yourself, there is also a gasket on the timing chain that could cause the leak and is a little harder to fix but try the rocker one first and see what happens :)

Reply to
Ronny

Thank you all for your time. You have re-enforced my deep suspicion that since the engine is running quite good the source of the leak maybe somewhere else. Thanks for all the suggestions about the likely places to look for the leak.

I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling about the dealer, especially, since I was not happy about the work they have done when I brought the car there for an AUDI recall related repair (ignition switch).

Regards,

Andre

Reply to
Andre