Audi A6 quattro 95 tire size.

My Audi A6 quattro 1995 currently has tires of the following size: 205-60R15. The user manual for this car as well as tire rack lists 195-65R15 to be the factory installed tires.
The rims seem to be original as far as I can tell.
Narrower tires perform better in snow. I am inclined to go with the factory original equipment. Can any body comment on the tire size or point me to a website which lists what tire sizes can be put on a given rim?
Thanks,
Andre

Sounds like the previous owner just did a plus-one sizing on it. If you go to the Tire Rack site, you can find out which tires will fit using the stock rims (which is what I assume you have).
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

While it is true that a narrower tire works best in snow, the difference between a 205 and a 195 would make little difference. Although I live in the snow belt (New England), I put the same size snows on as I do the performance tires simply because even in the winter time, most of my (your) driving will be on pavement rather than snow. Remember, this is a Quattro. It will go anywhere with summer tires; it needs snows, however, to *stop*.
I would stick with the performance formula (205).
Dave (running 19 inch 250s performance and snows) RS6

Thank you Dave and Dan,
I am going to go with the 205/60R15 based on your advice and based on the fact that the bigger size is listed on the label I found on the car as one of the supported tire sizes. It is also the size of the current tires. I was not sure if this size is fully supported by this car design or if it was just an update made by the previous owner.
Unfortunately I was not able to find the page on the TireRack website which advises what tire sizes are supported by a particular rim size. But I no longer need that information at this time. As you can tell I am not very well versed in tires and rims
Thank you, Andre
"Andre" wrote

That's because the information on TireRack is provided in a slightly different way. First, you pick a particular tire, then you look at its specs. Within the specs, for each tire size it will show you the range of approved rim widths on which that specific tire can be safely mounted.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Yokohama&model=AVID+H4S&partnum HR5H4S&vehicleSearchlse&fromCompare1=yes&place
For example, for this particular Yokohama tire in size 205/60/15, the recommended rim width range is from 5.5 to 7.5 inches.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Pete