Audi A6 (V6 2.6) 1995 - strange swishing sound after timing belt change

After a recent timing belt change, I'm getting a strange swishing sound from the engine when the engine is cold - about once a second at idle, increasing with engine speed. It disappears when the engine
warms up a bit. It's not the serpentine belt, as the noise is still there when the belt's off. Nor is it the belt rubbing against the timing belt covers, as I've tried taking those off too. Any suggestions?

over tight in general? then any extra tight bits will make a noise

Sounds like it - though some makes of belts are just noisy anyway. Try dribbling a little water onto the back of the cambelt as it goes round and see if it shuts up. In the past I've found a tiny squirt of WD40 or silicone spray will shut up a belt with no adverse effects.
--
Skipweasel
We have always been at war with Iran. [George Orwell - almost]

I'll certainly try that and report back with results!

Don't think so. When installed it could be turned through 90 degrees with two fingers, but I'll take the covers off and check again.

Ah - I've done that and had belts that turned out to be very much too tight. Perhaps I just have very strong fingers.
--
Skipweasel
We have always been at war with Iran. [George Orwell - almost]

As it turned out, adjusting the tension on the belt just made things worse - a whining noise from the (new) roller bearing. On examination, both the (new) roller bearing and (new) tensioner supplied by Euro C*r P*rts were leaking grease. A whole new timing belt kit was fitted and the problem(s) vanished!

does the new belt have a sticky patch on the back, where a manufacturers sticker had been. could be when its warm the sticky reduces.