audi a8 very impressed and depressed

my 1985 audi 100 cd , had a engine compartment light that was most usefull, my audi 80 1.8 s 1988 still had the light but disapointently only came on with a manual switch on / off (including sidelights ) the cd (worked with side lights and bonnet /hood open via a mercury switch ) now my audi a8 , wow it has 3 lights in the luggage compartment with their own separate light delay (keep the boot open for more than 5 mins and they cut off , irrelivent of the interior lights which have theire own delay , most impressive is the lights on buzzer that also cuts off after a few minutes of buzzing . so imagine my shock when i go to fill the water level and have no engine light , what the hell , did they do away with that for , what next , ? oerhaps a stick to hold up the bonnet like on a 1980 polo ?

Reply to
<ee>

We feel your pain. Do you feel our envy?

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd, no crocodile tears here ;-)

Reply to
daytripper

ee, Maybe they don't want you in there (let alone at night) - notice how the engine looks like it was packed in there with a plunger compared to your '85 and '88. Years from now, the owners of a8's like yours will have retrofitted the engine light from a Type 44. [In my crystal ball I see they will also have a problem with the hood shocks leaking over time, dropping the heavy bonnet/hood on many a noggin - and will necessitate using a stick to prop open the hood, also as you note.] If you want such a light, it wouldn't to too difficult to install what you described with stuff from wrecking yard Audi carcasses - just make sure that when the hood closes the light doesn't get crushed (see "plunger..." above). Or you could carry a flashlight in the car in your emergency kit (after all, the underhood light only works when there's power in the battery - think: dead alternator). If that's your only complaint about the car....I want one. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - with an automatic-on engine light....woohoo, it's better than an a8.....not even remotely. 1980 Audi 5k - ditto above - also not in reality. 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - no engine compartment light - not much to light up in there, anyway. (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears