Audi Alarm problem

Hi, I need some help. I have a 2001 Audi A4 quattro, standard shift

1.8T. My problem is when I shut the car off and lock the doors the alarm starts to go off a few minutes later by itself. If I leave the car unlocked, the car will lock itself and energize the alarm system, then the alarm will go off by itself just as before. Is there a solution to this, or at least a way to disable the alarm so I don't drain my battery on a cold winter night until I can get it fixed?

Thanks for your help

Reply to
<Haywood_Yablome

I reposted this because I had a defunct email address..sorry for any inconvenience

Reply to
<T_Diver

So, is this something that just started? Did you check to make sure all doors, hood (bonnet) and trunk (boot) lids are slammed good and tight before locking up? And all windows are closed?

An earlier post might just help get you by for now: near the bottom of the B-pillar (that's the post that the driver's seatbelt attaches near) there should be a button which, went pressed, disables the ultrasonic motion sensor when the vehicle is locked. Remove the ignition key, get out of the car, reach back in to press that button, then close all doors and press the fob's lock button.

Then stand back and wait. If the alarm doesn't trigger in its usual fashion, something was upsetting the motion detector. If the alarm still sounds, at least you gave this bit a try. The problem may be in one of the door lock units.

I can't remember if 2001 A4 production was still the B5 chassis or not, but if it is, I believe fuse 231 or 238 will pretty much disable the central locking system, which takes out both the remote locking and all alarm functions...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Well, I have two guesses:

your battery IS already diying and therefore your sensors act up and a) the alarm goes off. b) something in your car sets off the internal sensors. Maybe your car has that internal alarm 'off' button somewhere.. the A6 has got it in the drivers B-pillar. Switch that off and see if your symptom still shows up.

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Assuming there is something wrong with the internal motion sensor, why would it lock the doors when I leave them open, then activate the alarm? That's what puzzles me.

Reply to
<T_Diver

Scenario: you exit the car. You lock it with the fob. You then unlock it with the fob, but you don't open any door or hood or trunk lid. Roughly one minute later, the car will lock itself.

If you exit the car without using the remote to lock it up, the car should not lock up and arm the alarm on its own. If it's actually doing this, there's something quite wrong. If you're still on with the original battery, you've gotten your money out of it; I'd replace it out of hand and see if the problem clears. If you're sure the battery is sound, then the Central Locking System has a bug...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper