Audi crankshaft

I have a 2001 A4 Quattro with a standard tranny. 1.8 engine. My timing belt went and destroyed the engine (AWM) I purchased a used engine but it was in an automatic. The place said it would be the same but I had
to change the flex plate for the flywheel. Well, I have my old engine out and the back of the crank is different. Mine (standard tranny) has a raised cone shape and the one on the new engine (Automatic version) is flat. Will this work? I thought, along with others, that all I had to do would be put my flywheel and clutch on. Am I wrong? Is this engine no good to me? Please help with any advice you have.

You need a place at the back of the crank shaft to stick a pilot bearing for the tranny input shaft, don't you? If so, I'm guessing the cone locates said pilot bearing, and a flat crank isn't going to work...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd
I researched crankshafts when rebuilding my AEB engine. Automatic and Manual cranks are different for the 1.8t engines, at least for the AEB engine. :-( IIRC the flanges are possibly different thicknesses so a plate might have to be made, or the flange machined down.
So see if that place that sold you the "good" one can find you a "correct" one. ;-)
shortblock here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-1-8T-Engine-Short-block-AUDI-A4-Passat-MANUAL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ008QQitemZ8007090358QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
--
later,
dave

If the flange will not take the needle bearing that is required for manual transmission, then you will have to swap-out the auto crank from your manual engine. Its is supposed to be easy, you will have to remove the oil pan. Besure to sure to use new bearings for the crank and clean the oil-pick screen and pan before putting it back. How does the cylinder head look after the timing belt broke? I might be interested if it is rebuildable. Let me know and good luck.

You will have to exchange cranks. I am going through the same process. Did not realize that there was a difference either. Finding a manual AWM crank is very difficult/expensive. I think I paid $400-450 for a used crank.
Good luck.