AUDI HEADACHES

My 2002 Audi A-6 3.0 took in a TON of water in a couple severe rain/ wind storms this past summer 2007. I have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS with it since. My brake (re-call taken care of) booster was full of water and the brakes FROZE on the road on a trip. Prior to that I've been going around with a mis fire in the cylinder (per my local mechanic) to the point it misfires so bad it is undriveable. After the brake deal and after they said my problem was I needed new tires (which I now have) my check engine light is on again (less than a week) from the 2nd. tow into Audi. My belief after much research is that it is catalytic converter issues. Possibly from WATER as I cannot stress to you enough HOW MUCH water this car took in - both engine and interior of car. I have YET to get Audi to direct themselves to the fact that ALL the problems I have had with the car is since it took in droves of water. With the amount of money $$$$ this car has cost me I'm quite upset not to mention it is my only source of transportation and since summer of 2007 it is not driveable more than it is!!!

Reply to
Booker

"Booker" wrote

I don't understand. What do you want Audi to do for you? Are they responsible for the fact that your car got flooded? Does your insurance cover flooding? If so, a flood car should have be totalled.

I'm sorry to say, but the best thing you can do is get rid of this car and cut your losses. These cars are packed with electronics, so if you get them wet to the point that you described, then they will never be fine again. Things will be dying on you all the time. Even if not flooded, the electronics aren't exactly Audi's strong point, and by getting them wet, well... you get the idea.

And the issue isn't with Audi in particular. Get any modern car as flooded as you did, and they will all have major problems afterwards.

Good luck!

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Yeah, I'm with Pete, I'm not exactly sure what your issue is - you got the car flooded, so that's Audi's fault?

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

MY ADVICE IS TO NOT FLOOD YOUR CAR AND MAYBE NEXT TIME THIS WONT HAPPEN TO YOUS.

Reply to
Gerky Gatzos

Why the re-post?

You were an idiot, and didn't service your drains properly.

Audi can't hold your hand on every damn little thing.

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

Where exactly are you keeping your car that it got this flooded? I mean some water is expected in a storm and all that, but to flood that much seems abit over.

Reply to
mosman

SO YOU ALL TELL ME? A CAR - ANY CAR - CAN'T BE EXPOSED TO RAIN? I really find that hard to believe as I've never had this issue with ANY other cars I have owned.

Reply to
Booker

"Booker" wrote

What exactly happened? How did the water get into the engine compartment and into the interior? From your earlier description I assumed your car got flooded as a result of some natural disaster.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I don't think so. In your initial post you said a TON of water. That's fairly unusual and sounds like rainstorm or hurricane conditions. Cars get destroyed in these conditions. So really it's a matter of how much water got in.

Regards

W.

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Not one person has said that. I know you want to blame Audi, but really, the problem ultimately is YOUR fault.

Not Audi's.

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

Well to defend the OP some seal defects just happen. I think a new VW EOS, yeah I know that it is not an Audi, but this EOS had water POURING in at the car wash. The techs finally fixed the problem by carefully lubricating this seal with VW's special lube. Again it is a "maintenance item that was not done from the factory!!

Proper maintenance is quite important to catch small problems before they become large ones. This is a horror story that hopefully wakes EVERYONE up to check the minor things.

Is there some list with all of the "uncommon" things to address that will hopefully save one from large headaches?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

water POURING in at the car wash. The techs finally fixed the problem by carefully lubricating this seal with VW's special lube. Again it is a "maintenance item that was not done from the factory!!

become large ones.

hopefully save one from large headaches?

I completely agree that there are weird cases of stuff going wrong. Stuff that's wierd, or very uncommon, etc.

Cleaning cowl drains is not one of those things. Cowl drains are common, on many different makes, and have the same problems across all those makes. Gunk builds up in the drains, blocking them. Water fills up the cowl tray, then finally spills into the car.

Same with sunroof drains. Plenty of BMW owners have the same complaint. :)

E.P.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@v67g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

hey... was this a katrina car?

Reply to
Black_RS4

Some VAG products seem to have problems with water intrusion. Passat B5/5.5 had a poor design of the cowl drains/pollen filter seal, which would allow water to accumulate in area between engine compartment and passenger compartment, and then flood passenger compartment. Lowest point (and easily flooded) was comfort control module in floor pan, electronics for locks, etc.

Same model had problems with sunroom drains clogging, which could flood passenger compartment (front or rear) and sometimes leak into headliners on pillars.

When I read the OP's' first post, it sounded like he was posting about water flooding into cowl area, which I have read of before with this model. See this post:

I have the same problem with my Audi A6. In my case, the water allegedly went through the vacuum tube to the brake booster (how H2O can enter a vacuum is beyond me) and got into the engine. Net effect, engine is gone.

The car is under warranty and is still under the audi maintenance program. Despite this, Audi is claiming that the damage is not covered under warranty. Estimated repair bill: over $13,000!

I'd be curious to know if others have experienced this problem with Audis. The service manage acknowledged that Audi has known about this problem for some time. I personally think Audi is trying to avoid a recall and class action suit.

To those of you with Audis, the lesson is to remove the battery and check the drain holes. Or have your dealer do it (as they should).

Is there some list with all of the "uncommon" things to address that will hopefully save one from large headaches?

Reply to
No Spam Please

when u open the hood of the car look at the left side lower corner theyre u will find the air box in between the air box and fender u will find some clips un-do those and the clips beside the engine pull up the upper cover and vuala u have your old filter take out the old one and reverse what u just did

Reply to
SpoolinS6

Yep there is some weird stuff that sometimes goes wrong.

I guess when something goes wrong and causes a problem, hopefully a lesson is learned and that problem is not allowed to occur again. ;-)

I had a 1991 Passat Sedan (AKA Money Pit or Moaney Pit) that had water leaks. I thought it was from the front windshield since it would whistle on the highway. It was cracked anyway and time for a new one. That might have solved some of the leakage but water was now POURING IN on the RS and I found it was due to some rust and some failing sealant in the roof seams. I had to remove the old sealant, treat the rust, repaint that area, and reseal with some Polyeurathane (sp). That is some good stuff and I did both roof seams!!! That stopped the majority of the leak, but then the sealant for the rear windshield lost its seal and another leak developed. I sold the vehicle after patching that area and told the new owner, before purchase, that she needs that rear glass resealed due to water infiltration. Now maybe when the new windshield was repaired it allowed the Passat body to flex some which in turn allowed the seals to "break", but I will probably never know for sure. Oh and I almost forgot, it also had some rusty metal around the fresh air box intake that I also had to reseal!!

Also I had just purchased my '97 A4 and got it running before selling the Passat. The previous A4 owner had not cleaned his drains and there was water on the passenger floor before I came out to see/buy it. I showed him how to clean it out and lots of water went through that opened drain. lol I usually show people the debris blocking their vehicle's drains and hopefully they will clean them out periodically. I will see if that happens. 8^)

BTW the Passat was nice but my A4 is nicer!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

estimate; and, with rash insolence, it belittles the great to its own measure, as when talking of God.

  1. Things which have most hold on us, as the concealment of our few possessions, are often a mere nothing. It is a nothing which our imagination magnifies into a mountain. Another turn of the imagination would make us discover this without difficulty.

  1. My fancy makes me hate a croaker, and one who pants when eating. Fancy has great weight. Shall we profit by it? Shall we yield to this weight because it is natural? No, but by resisting it...

  2. Nae iste magno conatu magnas nugas dixerit.[14]

583.[15] Quasi quidquam infelicius sit homini cui sua figmenta dominantur.[16]

  1. Children who are frightened at the face they have blackened are but children. But how shall one who is so weak in his childhood become really strong when he grows older? We only change our fancies. All that is made perfect by progress perishes also by progress. All that has been weak can never become absolutely strong. We say in vain, "He has grown, he has changed"; he is also the same.

  1. Custom is our nature. He who is accustomed to the faith believes in it, can no longer fear hell, and believes in nothing else. He who is accustomed to believe that the king is terrible... etc. Who doubts, then, that our soul, being accustomed to see number, space, motion, believes that and nothing else?

  2. Quod crebro videt no
Reply to
mosman