Audi owner experiences

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I do not own an Audi yet but have wanted one since I have first set my eyes on them 20 years ago. Now I am planning (pretty close) to buy a car. Over the years people have told me that Audi is a problem car with
stories such as: You tend to spend lot of money on repairs. : They have bad performance : Audi's quality is less than mediocre (sp) and they charge a lot to fix the problem ....etc etc. Such stories kept coming at me, yet I still want to have an Audi.
If there are any owners (and non-owners), could you please share your unbiased opinions and experience with Audi ownership?
PS - I am middle aged man and am considered middle class. Don't know if this will help.
--
SR
snipped-for-privacy@SPAMBUSTER.yahoo.com

Audis in general are known for pioneering engineering (quattro) and a good balance of power and handling. Fit and finish are excellent and recent models generally have fairly bold styling. They come with a comprehensive warranty (4 yr/ 50,000 miles in US) which is a good thing because their reliability is pretty middle-of-the-pack and repairs are costly. While quattro is very reliable, mundane items like door handles falling off (old models), coil failure, control arm failure, and oil leaks plague the owner. In 73,000 miles I have had a defective clutch throwout bearing, failure of ventilation fan motor, radiator replacement and will soon be getting the V6 "external lubrication system" rectified. Brake pads and rotors have been replaced front and rear and I expect the fronts will need it again within 10,000 miles. To sum up, Audis are fun to drive but if you want the ultimate in reliability, plan to keep the car beyond the warranty period and want outstanding trade-in value, you should look elsewhere.

I've owned 2 Audis now, a B5 A4 and a B6 A4 and I must say they are the most reliable cars i have owned, they have the best build quality in a car I have owned, they are the cheapest to repair as well, companies like GSF / Eurocarparts make owning Audi's a cheap car to run, I now have a 1.8T quattro and will be putting 180k miles on this one before i trade it in, and am not worried at all.
My last V6 Audi went to 161k miles, and still drove like new, it was quiet, fast, rust free, and as long as you look after the car it will last as long as you want it too
hth
Ronny

I've just bought a 1996 A6 2.6 V6 with 192,000 miles on the clock. There aren't many makes I'd even consider with that kind of mileage.

John you havnt just bought my old Audi have you ? :)
But then I sold it with 162k miles, it was a quattro though, 2.6 v6 12valve

That's just what I was thinking :-)

I bought mine last month but no, it's not a quattro. I wish the previous owner had included the adaptor for the anti-theft wheel bolts, but as it turned out the local Audi dealer had one in stock for a tenner (including spare bolt).

I Part ex'd mine for 2.5k it was a nice one though, was yours cheaper?

A mere GBP 1750 and worth every penny.

Ronny, he's bought an A6, yours was an A4. HTH. :-)
Peter -- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Well spoted Pete, I didnt see lol :(

<clip>
There will be when you have driven it for a couple of years!
IMO - It's the most expensive car to run when it comes to maintenance, but nice car when it runs. Hold tight to the steering wheel when passing an Audi garage - the car will try to get in there :-))
Rgds Jens
My family has owned Audis since a 1975 Fox. That was a good running vehicle that lasted many years with no major problems except rust.
previously owned Audis: 1975 Fox auto 1973 Fox stick (bought with dead engine) 1978 Fox stick (had to repair rusted gas tank) 1980 4000 stick 4 speed 1884 4000 auto 1985 Coupe/GT auto
current Audi vehicles: 1983 4000S stick 5 speed (owned since 1991) still running very well after 226K miles. Needs a new steering rack since it is leaking. I had installed a VW GTi engine in it when I bought it back in 1991 since the original engine had a wrist pin knock. Both vehicle and engine had 85K on them in 1991 Rust is starting to appear.
1985 5000S (owned since 1985) currently only has 90K miles has needed calipers, window regulators, transmission resealed and sunroof repaired. Headliner is starting to fall down but is running very well with no rust.
I have not owned any recent Audis, but the ones that I have owned have been very good and reliable vehicles. Living in the "rust-zone" usually start to kill most of the early ones. :-( One exception is that Coupe. It was only purchased for the wheels and tires and then sold with it's bad transmission. That transmission seemed to keep working for the new owner though. :-)
I like my 83 Audi 4000S more than the 91 VW Passat that I own even though the Passat looks newer. <g>
I've owned Audis since 1984. They are *very* reliable and have taken me through many rough roads during rallies, and deep snows in the winter.
My son-in-law gets my "hand downs" and keeps them until I am ready to buy another Audi. He kept my 1990 200 Quattro Turbo Wagon for several years before he traded it at 150K miles. We still see it occasionally - still running well from what we hear. One of my grandsons is driving my 94 S4 and it has 150K miles on it. Still going strong. My 2000 A6 4.2 has more than 100K on it, still being driven by my daughter. My current 03 RS6 is the most fun car I've ever driven. It goes like stink and handles superbly. I can not see myself ever selling this car. Wellllllll, perhaps for another RS6..... d;o)
Repairs *can* be a bit pricey if you stay with a dealer. However, if you shop around and find a good mechanic, the repairs are more reasonable. The Quattro system is bullet proiof and rarely needs repairs. The same goes for engines. If you give everything routine maintenance, these cars should last a long time.
And, no, my feet aren't made out of feathers. Bricks would be a better description.
Dave

Ha! My son keeps trying to persuade me to change my car.
I think he fancies my RS6 in place of the old '93 Corsa he has as my wife's 'hand me down'!

Funny you should mention that. The bloke I bought my A6 ('96 2.5TDI 140bhp Avant) off wanted to keep it for his wife to drive, but it was too big for her and she preferred driving her 1 litre Corsa!
Peter -- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Yeah, well my wife drove my A4 once, and never drove my A6 and hasn't driven the RS6. Her Corsa was replaced by an A2.

Ronny wrote:

Thank you for the input. Which models of Audi in particular are successful? There seem to be 4 different configurations for each of these models A4, A6, A8, S4 and RS6. Each model has submodels like 1.8, 1.8 quattro and more. Which model is most popular with consumers for reliability?
Thank you once again.
--
SR
snipped-for-privacy@SPAMBUSTER.yahoo.com
Please remove SPAMBUSTER to reply via email.

The most popular audi A4's are <petrol>1.8T / 2.8 30v <diesel> 1.9 tdi
quattro is more desirable as its 4wd, quattro doesnt mean the model comes with any extra bells, its just the drive train, 2wd or quattro.
Someone else will advise you on other models
ronny

3 Audis:
1982 Coupe: 112K miles, began having electrical problems, needed clutch soon and front end was never right after a "leave the road" almost rollover. Only regret was poor resale due to late 80's Audi problem with 5000's alledgedly engaging in gear spontaneously.
1995 A6 186k miles with routine maintenance and routine oil leak. Wife wanted 10 years or 200k mikes but was rear ended by 18 wheeler. (car's third major hit) Survived well and was driveable but was totalled by insurance. Drove it onto the flatbed!
2003 A4 30k miles Change oil at 5k with synthetic, not originial 10k recommendation. New tire due to side wall damage from road hazzard.
Of the three the coupe was the best looking. People would stop & comment on it. The A6 was an industrable tank and the A4 is the most fun to drive.
Have a friend who is an Audi mechanic and a good dealership. Parts are still expensive compared to my daughter's Jetta. Resale is always better on a Beemer.
Hope this helps.
Jerry