Audi Reliability Unacceptable by US Standards

Page 2 of 3

Well, it is not exacty the same as heating oil, but it does require a helluva lot less refining than gasoline. And, yes, I am aware of its many uses - trains, boats, trucks, cars, etc. It still does not explain why it is more expensive. However a quick google reveals this:
http://www.wisegeek.com/why-is-diesel-fuel-more-expensive-than-gasoline.htm
Ta da! Question answered and it is as I thought it might be: supply and demand.
Dave

Only applies in America most of the rest of the world taxes diesel fuel lighter than petrol but in the UK the taxes are the same.
--
Clive

You saw, by the article, Clive, that the taxes on diesel if far greater than gasoline. The government logic is that diesel is used by companies (RR, trucks, busses, etc), while gasoline is used by Joe Citizen. Don't want to tax him, now, do we? d;o)
The U.S. is in one helluva mess right now. News today is that the Fed is monitizing another $600 billion of our debt. That's in addition to the over $1 TRILLION we have already monitized. We are in deep doodoo. This tax and spend way of thinking has got to come to a screaching halt. Soon!
Have a good one, Clive. I have visited your country several times and it is very lovely. My wife and I have friends that just retired and have moved to England. Perhaps they know something we don't know. d;o(
Dave

True Clive, in the UK, when Christmas times arrive, the transportation business grows a lot for supplying all th shops with gifts and sending all those greeting cards, thereby the diesel price increase. Simple supply and demand rule. And UK is renowned to have only limited capacity for refining diesel.
In other countries, the governments tax diesel much more to the pump so. And the lorries or truck companies get a refund afterwards. Leading to the fact that some governments are favoring the companies for diesel usage.
But, countries like France wishing to depend less on petrol have favored diesel all along and its price is much cheaper. Their factories do have the capacity to refine diesel to the point that they supply the UK peaks around Christmas. They also know that the diesel engines do last a lot longer and consume much less, explaining the higher price tag for a diesel engine.
VAG (VW group) is still nose to nose with PSA (Peugeot) on the most efficient and performant diesel engines in Europe and Ford or Toyota are far behind. I even heard that BMW diesel engines were made by PSA (which used to supply them to Rover and Honda).
I hope that VAG produces a hybrid TDi around its 1.6 L engine and put that into the A5 sedan which I really like and has good reviews.
My experience with TDi is that they are so good, quite torquy, reliable and so green.
LHR
writes>One thing I can not understand is that diesel

[...]
What utter, utter garbage.
Yuou must come from another planet, get back to your fuel line magnets.

Manufacturing methods have changed a lot at VAG since 2003. Cutting costs to make more profit, and trying to out do the competition, making them too complex. After all, they are only to get you (and yours) from A to B. The last time I looked at the dash of an A4, it seemed that it had more buttons than my keyboard. As you are such an expert driver, would you not agree that distractions should be kept to a minimum as the volume of traffic increases ? More buttons, more adjustments on the fly, less concentration on the task in hand ?
Anyway, good luck.

Yes I am in Euroland, and we call all cars that drive all four wheels '4 wheel drive', from a Fiat Panda Sisley, to Subarus and Lamborghinis. That is how they are known over here, regardless of technicalities.
But then we call this time of year 'Autumn' whereas you call it 'Fall'. I think the list would be too long to continue...
best wishes
David (yet another one)
"would you not agree that distractions should be kept to a minimum as the volume of traffic increases ? More buttons, more adjustments on the fly, less concentration on the task in hand ?"
Most definately. One of the prime suspects of such distractions is gps systems, either built-in or added. I was riding with my wife a couple of days ago when she decided to program something on the gps. Bad practice.
Be well.
Dave

BMW sucks horse cock.
I had a 2007 BMW 335i (6spd, twin turbo, 2dr coupe). When I bought the car it had 40,000 miles and a transferable maintenance package/warranty (wipers, brakes, oil/other engine fluids). When the wiper blades are not up to standard BMW has to deem them that way (not the daily driver) and will not replace them. I didn't own the car long enough to even replace the brakes on the damn thing. When the service engine light came on I took it in for the scheduled oil change that is part of the maintenace package and they changed the oil for free (then charged me $20 to "dispose" of the used oil). I told the dealer that the dump in my town would dispose of the oil for free and to put the used oil in the used containers and I would dispose of it myself(obviously they had an excuse why they couldn't do that). One of the halo lights on the car burnt out, that was $200 for the part and labor for one headlight (ridiculous). My steering wheel lock sensor malfunctioned (didn't affect the performance of the car just displayed an annoying red light on the dash display that could not be overriden). That was not covered by the warranty and set me back a cool $1200. Then the fuel pump went on a car with 49,000 miles. Since this was a factory defect (still ongoing for the last 4 years with all 3.5 liter twin turbo BMW engines) they replaced it for free. This would've cost me $2500. Long story short I sold the Bmer and bought a 2008 IS 350 (had more options than the BMW...navigation, backup camera, covered under warranty for everything including the tire/wheel warranty (best thing ever any tire or wheel problems bring it back and it will be fixed free of charge), and the invisible shiled in the front and other areas to avoid rock chips. 32,000 miles of smooth sailing would never buy anything besides a Lexus again. I still have my 1999 GS400 (225,000 miles), 2008 IS 350 (32,000 miles) and saving for my next Lexus

<Whining snipped>
I could show you review after review after review that has nothing but praise for the BMW 335I, but I won't because you have your mind made up. There was another guy around these parts that complained about BMWs and also praised the Lexus products. Coincidence, huh?
BMW, MB, Audi, as well as other Euro cars have made their reputation by turning out good products. They have also enhanced that reputation by racing. I have *never* heard of Lexus racing.
Let's toss some numbers out ....... lesseeee...... Aha! price of BMW 335I US$47,625 well equipped. price of IS350 US$49,415 well equipped. Advantage: BMW
BHP BMW = 300 with 300 lb.-ft of torque BHP IS35 = 306 with 277 lb.-ft of torque Advantage: Toss up. I'd take the addition 23 lb.ft of torque over the 6 bhp
0-60 BMW = 4.7 sec. with 100 at 11.7. 0-60 IS350 = 5.5 sec. with 100 at 13.9 Advantage: Clearly BMW, making the Lexus nothing more than a back marker.
Handling skidpad BMW = 0.91g Handling skidpad IS-350 = 0.81g Advantage: Again, very clearly the BMW. 0.10gs may not sound like much, but it really can matter a whole lot when you need that extra grip.
Braking 60-0 BMW = 117 ft. (pretty good) Braking 60-0 IS350 = 133 ft (YIKES!) Advantage BMW, by a life saving distance of 16 feet, or the length of one car. The stopping distance of 133 ft is dismal. So, you BMW 335 drivers out there, if you are being followed by an IS350, know that when you make an emergency stop, the Lexus will stop in front of you after going through or over you. <groan>
Mileage BMW = 18.4 mpg observed during testing period. Mileage IS350 = 19.0 mpg observed during testing period. Advantage: Lexus. Hey, ya got one, by .6 mpg. Strike up the band, fanfare, hip/hip hooooray!
The above testing was done by a auto enthusiast's magazine. The BMW 335I is remarkably more agile, faster, and track proven than the Lexus.
But, of course if you are a little old man who is not looking for performance, knows very little about automobiles, the Lexus should fit you very well.
I will chuckle, chortle, and snort every time I pass a Lexus (or one passes me). Good cars, but not great cars, not a driver's car.
Good luck. Remember, we have an RX-330 (basically the same engine and brakes) and have had more than our fair share of troubles.
YMMV
Dave
Hi,
what matters is that you get a car that handles well and behaves likes a sports car and this does not mean having a big engine. So, we want good braking and excellent road handling.
This is usually in those areas where the Japanese cars are weaker and French or Italian doing so much better.
I repeat this figure since this is the one that counts: Handling skidpad BMW = 0.91g Handling skidpad IS-350 = 0.81g
Even if 0.10gs may not sound like much, but at those levels, it means a great deal of difference in road holding and cornering hability. For example, a simple Peugeot 405 (which were sold in the USA for a while) has 0.85g, better than a very expensive Lexus. If you look for a Peugeot 605 and 607, they match Citroen XM or later C6 and reach 0.93, better than an M5. I could show you that Alfa Romeo and the newer big Volvos (designed with Renault's knowledge) offers similar figures.
If you live near the Mountains and want to have a good time on a curvy road, better buy a European made car. Road handling can also mean saving the life of your family in extreme occasions. That is why the Japanese do not sell much in Europe.
Braking 60-0 BMW = 117 ft. / 35 meters (pretty good) Braking 60-0 IS350 = 133 ft / 40 meters (YIKES!)
This is a 5 meters difference. As you point you, a whole car length. Well, in all the car test reports, I have always realised that the weak link for Japanese cars is braking. Toyota is renowned for fitting small brakes which will have to lock in order to stop rapidly. Proper braking also means saving your family's life.
Bests
LHR

Exactly! Braking, agility, and road holding are, to me, more important than acceleration. As far a Gs are concerned, 0.10g is an enormous difference, and could indeed mean the difference between making a turn under an emergency, or going of the road.
Peugeot 405s were sold in this country during the 80s. My boss's boss owned one and he seemed happy with it. However, I believe they did not sell well because of styling and reliability. They certainly know how to make a race car, giving the Audi R10s a run for the money in the Petit le Mans series here in the States, and the actual le Mans race in France. I saw the 10 hour race at Road Atlanta this year where Peugeot came in 1-2 with their HDI deisels. Unfortunately for me, Audi came in 3rd. d;o( Remember, however, that Audi started the deisel racing development, so I am sure they will be back. The Peugeot is closed cockpit as opposed to Audi's open cockpit. I'm sure that makes a difference.
Saw lots of BMWs, Jaguars, Ferraris, Porsches, Corvettes, but no Lexuses. Strange, huh? d;o)
Be well.
Dave

In the real Le Mans in France, the Audis took all three top positions, whilst all three of the Peugeots blew up.
--
Clive

But, they were the only threat to Audi's wins. Both companies produce excellent high tech deisels. The muffled purr as they raced by me at Road Atlanta was something to behold.
Dave

Here in Europe, Peugeot have long had a reputation for quiet diesels, but that's more to do with the pre-chamber technique, VAG has never been approached for diesels anywhere until common rail, 2000 bar pressures and five injections per combustion cycle arrived, now I think it's between Bosch of Germany and Nippon-Denso of Japan. I can't see any other manufacturer in the running.
--
Clive

Luckily for Audi, Peugeots are not winning all races. They have dominated the WRC scene for seven years in a row now with the Citroen Xsara and C4 without counting the other years win with the 205 and 405.
LHR

I haven't been following the WRC for a couple of years. Great series. There is some great video on youtube of WRC events.
I can remember back in the 80s when Audi was very successful in the rally world. I saw John Buffum in his Audi at several events here in the States. My wife and I used to officiate at Pro-Rally SCCA events. We were stage captains; I would be at the start and she would be at the finish. Some great memories there. It could not be compared to the WRC, however.
Dave

For a long time, Japanese manufacturers (altogether) had a total maximum import quota of 11% of the new car market in Europe. That includes Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Daihatsu, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, Mazda and Isuzu.
This was overcome by opening factories to make their cars in Europe.
regards
David
On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 01:41:01 -0700 (PDT), laurentien

A lot of people don't realize they can add F-Sport accessories to the IS350, get numbers on skidpad and braking that exceed the BMW model equivalent, and pay a lot less GermanTax.
I actually like BMW in many ways but I never understood the "bimmer goggles" people get which prompt them to ignore reality.
You quoted numbers from a stock IS350 without sport package much less F-Sport addons, yet only mentioned the three-letter BMW acronym in your comparison with no model name and proof that you are even comparing similarly configured cars.

Adding F-Sport accessories is expensive, right. The BMW335i which IS a comparable automobile doesn't need them. For Lexus to build a street car with a stopping distance of 133 feet is shameful. I don't know what you mean by German Tax.

It's called brand loyalty. I don't understand why people continue to buy Buicks or Cadillacs or Chrysler products.

I mentioned that the BMW was a 335, exacly what the IS-350 is in buying competition with.
"Let's toss some numbers out ....... lesseeee...... Aha! price of BMW 335I US$47,625 well equipped. price of IS350 US$49,415 well equipped. Advantage: BMW"
They are similarly priced, equipped, and are in direct competition with one another. The BMW has a 3 liter engine and the Lexus a 3.5 liter engine, putting out about equal power. If you add F-Sport options, your IS350 is going to get into the M3 area pricewise, maybe even into the BMW535I price range. Believe me, it's not worth it, unless of course you are a boy racer. No one should have to pay extra to have a car stop from 60-0 in less than 120 feet. That 133 ft on the IS-350 is horrible, AND dangerous. Think about it.
Dave

I'm sure you will make up your own definition of what "well equipped" means as we go along, but for example, starting with a RWD IS350, I can add F-Spot brace and sway bar for under $1k, and F-sport rear brake upgrade for $2.5k, which would address the skid pad and braking numbers quoted earlier. That brings total MSRP to around $43k. I could spend more if needed, but there's no need to to exceed what the 335 offers.

Nobody should have to pay extra for leather interior either but BMW wants to charge me $1,450 if I prefer those to plastic seats.
In terms of what's dangerous, NHTSA tests show the Lexus IS as being a considerably safer car than the BMW 3 series.