Audi S4 engine problems

I am looking at buying a 2001 Audi S4 and i was doing some research and came across some info that said th Audi A4 has engine problems. I was wondering if this was the same for the S4. I am buying the car for my
son for his birthday so if anyone can help me out sooner rather then later that would be great!! Oh and also is there any other problems with it.
Thanks, David

There are many engine options fitted to the A4. I doubt they all had problems!
The most common problem was with coil packs on the 1.8T engines. Well known and easily fixed
Was there an S4 available in 2001? I'd think that'd be a Mk1 A4 with the 2.7T engine rather than the current 4.2V8

Yes, it is the 2.7 twin turbo. My grandson just purchased a 2000 S4 with 41k miles. Great car.
Dave RS6
I have a 2000 A6 with the 2.7T engine, the same one as in the early S4. I like the engine's perfromance but I had a turbo go bad just past warranty expiration. Replacing both turbos was the recommendation and it was a very expensive propostion thanks to the extensive amount of labor needed to get to the turbos. i forget the cost and the labor but I think it was 20-30 hours by the book and the turbos weren't cheap either. I had other work done at the same time but i think the bill was close to $4000 for the turbos and the work. I could be wrong. You should check with a good independent Audi shop in your area. Try www.audiworld.com for more info.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Thank you very much for your information that was what i was looking for. Now time to discuss with the wife!