Audi S4 or BMW M3?

Hi,
I used to own a 330ci (2001) and loved this car, I fancied a change though and for the last 12 months have owned an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro, also a very
nice car but not quite as fun to drive as the BMW.
Now I'm looking at changing and I can't decide on an M3 or an S4, I've driven both a while back and I favoured the BMW, seemed like a more aggressive drive and had a lot of brute force.
But now when I look inside the BMW it all looks very dated, suppose that's why they're changing the 3 series, even if the Coupe / M3 won't be out until 2007 :-(. The Audi looks a lot more up to date but I don't know if the S4 is available with the face lift yet (do you know when?)
Has anybody owned both these cars, any advice would be welcome!
Thanks
Daz

In Europe these cars are considered lifestyle specific. BMW drivers would -in general- not consider an Audi and the other way around. If you look for 'agressive drive' it's BMW even if an Audi has the same or more power it never feels really agressive.
My two cents.
Ronald

Have a look at www.audi-sport.net. Someones in the same (lucky) position as you. IIRC, his conclusion was that the S4 was a better day-to-day car on any road but the BMW was a better drive.
The S4 saloon and avant are available with the facelifted look but the cab won't be available until next year.
HTH Dave
Hi Daz,
I just bought an '04 S4 in March. Holy Crap. I freakin' love this car. It's a Nogaro blue with the silver leather seats. I've driven it and an RS6 at Road America (both totally stock on some fun laps by myself--another story). I didn't put down any lap times in either of them, but the S4 obviously had less power, but the feel of the car was much better. It was more nimble and less "heavy" than the RS6 especially under braking (the RS6's brakes were smoking when I brought it in). As for an M3, also a fantastic car with similar hp. With the V8, the S4's got a big edge in torque at about 300 ft/lbs to the M3's 260. That'll get you off the line very fast and with the Quattro, you'll minimize wheel spin. I don't know where you are but for me, I like the Quattro AWD because I live in Wisconsin. With either car, I'm SURE you'll be happy. I picked the S4 because of the Quattro, the four doors (gotta get the fam in the back easily), and because you just don't see a lot of S4's around here. I've got the ONLY one in town. Pretty cool. I thought I read in Car & Driver recently that an RS4 is coming out in spring. Maybe you want to wait for THAT rascal! Glad to hear you have such a problem! Don't expect anybody to feel sorry for you! Pete

What is the Audi......About 8-10k CHEAPER and has all wheel drive... No brainer.
Troy

Daz wrote:

Get both and report back as to which one you think is better, and why.
E.P.

Will do!!!

Drive both of them in "normal" conditions, i.e., rain, snow, etc.
The S4 will still give wonderful performance in *any* weather conditions. While I enjoy a rear wheel driver with hoodles of torque/power, none will ever replace my Quattros.
Dave LaCourse RS6